If someone hits you first, is the law always on your side when you hit back in self defense?

Ok, this did not happen to me but it happened to someone in my town. And is currently the subject of much debate, so I thought I would see what you guys think. A man was attacked by his girlfriend, it appeared to all witnesses as unprovoked. She answered his cell phone, the person hung up and she went nuts. She... show more Ok, this did not happen to me but it happened to someone in my town. And is currently the subject of much debate, so I thought I would see what you guys think. A man was attacked by his girlfriend, it appeared to all witnesses as unprovoked. She answered his cell phone, the person hung up and she went nuts. She punched him in the face twice, then he slapped her. She fell to the ground, and he was restrained by a bystander. She got up off the ground and proceeded to attack him, while he was being restrained. The people restraining him let him go, and he landed a punch square in her face. She was taken to the hospital for observation, and here is the reason there is so much debate, because she is almost 8 months pregnant. He stormed off, and was being sought by the police. So what happens? Was he defending himself, according to what the law states as self defense. What about her, she hit first? Does the fact that she is pregnant absolve her of assault? What about him, does the fact that she is pregnant mean he has no right to defend himself? I personally think that a man should not be punching and knocking down a pregnant woman, he should have just called the police and filed assault charges.
Update: Good point, Angry Man.
Update 2: Fantastic answer bostonianinmo, I think you hit it on the nose. (no pun intended)