can i put baby platys in a plastic bag URGENT NEED HELP NOOOWW?

my platy just had babys just 5 seconds ago, can i pit them in a plastic bag!?? tell me what i could use as a makeshift bag so the other fish wont eat them

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A plastic bag wont work as a long term home. It has no filtering etc.

You could make yourself a DIY breeding net by getting a small plastic container and cutting a heap of holes in it. Then stretch some pantyhose over the container so the fry cant swim out via the holes.

Now the fry can swim around in the 'net' with the same water as the rest of the tank, but not be eaten. If you put some plant in the 'breeding net' for cover they will be happier.

Just leave them in there untill they are big enough to survive in the main tank. They will not be cramped as they have the same amount of water as the rest of the tank, so even if you only have 1/2gal of space, they can live there a long time.

Ian

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

As for wanting to take your fry out of your tank and placing them in a bag is a bad idea. The reason is the fry need great water parameters. Also they need oxygenation and constant water temp of the appropriate temp that the fish you keep live in. So the best option would be to keep them in the tank they are. Let nature do it's coarse. Also if you have live plants or fake plants in your tank then your problem will be less of a problem. The reason the fry get to hide.

If you want to you can get a small plastic breeder box from a pet shop which you can place in your tank. These work great. But they don't do that great. The best thing to do is let the fry try and survive by them selves in their own tank. The reason is because the fry learn to fend for thme selves while in a plastic container being hand fed they have no real chance to learn how to survive properly.

Mac

Source(s): My own experience.
  • 1 decade ago

A plastic bag will not work. As fish breath water the ph in the water lowers drastically and will kill them. Do you have a bowl or something like that to put them in temporarily or a rubbermaid container would work

• 3 years ago

i think ill thinking approximately what is going to ensue to those babies.optimistically they gained't grow to be a statistic.Your stepsister is enjoying Russian roulette together with her daughters lives . no longer purely can a newborn choke yet they'd suffocate.A plastic bag isn't a toy.As for the newborn eating from bottles around the homestead they'd reason injury alongside with burning out the esophagus, ruin the tummy, caustic epidermis burns, blindness and dying. i think of you will desire to checklist your stepsister and be arranged to stand by skill of what you have stated right here.This woman is an no longer worth mom at superb and a ability murderer on the worst.those babies are in probability on a daily basis they stay with this female masquerading as a mom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You better off leave tham alone that use a plastic bag....if u got alive plants or plastic plants in the tank.. it should shield the babys.. that help some of tham out...to you get a separate tank, bowl or container to get tham in!!

• 1 decade ago

If you have a plastic tub/bucket that can fit into you tank, you can float this inside the tank and place the frys there until you can get them a tank of their own so that the water temp will not get too cold.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you have screen or something to partition the tank off.

It is important to keep them in the water that they are in now, because of temperature and PH level etc. When they get little bigger you should be able to release them.

• 1 decade ago

a plastic bag will be fine, like the ones you get fish in.

You could also get like a plastic tupperware container rise it and put it in the tank. the lip at the top will trap air and keep it afloat trapping fish in and scoop your babies in it.

ut you still need a little watercirculation so maybe cut a hole and cover with screed or drill tiny tiny hole, but the babies will still fit through.

run to walmart and grab a breeder pin and put it in your tank ( a mesh cage that sits in your tank you can put babies in.

• 1 decade ago

go buy a breeder net tomorrow so the babies can stay safe in them but still be in the tank

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you could keep them in the tank and let nature take its place and only let the strong ones live...or just put them in separate bowl/ container...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.