I have knee pain woke up and it is painful to extend the knee(only one knee) or bend it in a lot. what is up?

Basically i Have quite bad knee paiin, my knees have always troubled me, and i am concrned this time. it is just my right nee this time but i am worried none the less. I woke up in the night and felt a bit of pain, thought nothing of it so went back to bed, when i woke up it was painful to put too much weight on it... show more Basically i Have quite bad knee paiin, my knees have always troubled me, and i am concrned this time. it is just my right nee this time but i am worried none the less. I woke up in the night and felt a bit of pain, thought nothing of it so went back to bed, when i woke up it was painful to put too much weight on it or to extend it a lot or retract it a lot. It has been like this for a couple of days now. i diddnt fall on it or that i am away of incur any injury to it. i play a lot of hockey and obviously i need my knees to be better for when i get back to school in jan. so i would love to know what i have rong with them, and what i can do to get better and how long it will take me before i am pain free. Also the location of the pain seems to be in the knee itself like under the knee cap at the front if that helps. and it can be quite sore randomly as well as when i put pressure/stand/go up stairs/extend or retract the knee too far.
Thanks!