Rabbit question? When you have one but want two?

Hello.

I have one female rabbit [ I don't know if she's spayed ]

I want another and was looking at females...but was talking to someone and they said that 2 females together will kill each other because they want to be the "Alpha female"

So now i'm thinking about getting a male rabbit...[neutered]

But i've also heard that they will either fight or....[nicest way to say this] try to reproduce all the time.

I'm so confused on what do to!!

Any help from EXPERIENCED people are welcome. :)

Best Answer

I would get your female spayed regardless of getting another rabbit. Spaying will really decrease your rabbits chances of getting cancer.

2 female rabbits together will not kill each other just like that. Many F/F pairs get along famously. The bonding process can be more difficult between rabbits of the same gender, however.

A female and a male pair usually works out the best. If they are both spayed they should get along fine as long as you bond them well.

Really, finding a good match for a rabbit can be difficult, and the bonding process can take a long time. Some rabbits just never become friends. There is much info on this around the internet. I would recommend having a little "date" with any prospective new rabbit to see how they get along.

There will be some fighting to establish who is the "alpha" rabbit but a male and female should be fine two female may be fine to but if they start really going at you'll need to separate them! I have females together and the do fine GOOD LUCK!

Source(s): Ive owned rabbits for 15yrs

If the boy was neutered young enough he won't do that usually. (I don't think) On the girl thing you might want to get her/them (future) spayed to prevent uterine cancer. Also, see if you can "introduce" the prospective bunny to your bunny before you commit to ownership. It usually takes a long time to "bond" rabbits. There is a lot of info on the web about this at different sites.

Then if you can't get a rabbit get a guinea pig because guinea pigs and rabbits like each other you can ask a perfassional if you want but they really do like each other.