Can Wicca be considered a cult? Why or why not?

Update:

A group can be a cult and be non religious.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

answer: any religion or group could be defined as a cult by those definitions which make those definitions useless.

Is Wicca a cult? No, because there are no set tenets, no central authority and no sacred texts for all Wiccan covens, groves, etc. Let's break it down even further and blow you out of the water, as usual.

The religion overall (not the random rare enclosed groups)

The Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame

(version 2.0)

1. INTERNAL CONTROL: Amount of internal political power exercised by leader(s) over members.

Most covens are run by consensus with guidance from the HP/HPS or elders.

2. WISDOM CLAIMED by leader(s); amount of infallibility declared or implied about decisions or doctrinal/scriptural interpretations.

Most that try and claim infallibility are laughed out of paganism.

3. WISDOM CREDITED to leader(s) by members; amount of trust in decisions or doctrinal/scriptural interpretations made by leader(s).

Everything is open to question at some point or another.

4. DOGMA: Rigidity of reality concepts taught; amount of doctrinal inflexibility or "fundamentalism."

No dogma at all. There are some Wiccan traditions that have set ways of doing things but no one is forced to stay if they aren't happy with the rituals.

5. RECRUITING: Emphasis put on attracting new members; amount of proselytizing.

Pagans don't proselytize.

6. FRONT GROUPS: Number of subsidiary groups using different names from that of main group.

You'll find that most covens aren't known to the public at all.

7. WEALTH: Amount of money and/or property desired or obtained by group; emphasis on members' donations; economic lifestyle of leader(s) compared to ordinary members.

LOL I haven't come across a lot of rich covens, groves, Kindreds or such.

8. POLITICAL POWER: Amount of external political influence desired or obtained; emphasis on directing members' secular votes.

That's laughable too. I've seen conservative Republican Heathens and ultra-liberal Wiccans. I've seen Republican Wiccans and ultra-liberal Heathens.

9. SEXUAL MANIPULATION: of members by leader(s); amount of control exercised over sexuality of members; advancement dependent upon sexual favors or specific lifestyle.

Only by those using the religion to gain control over others, including sexually. Just like any other religion.

10. CENSORSHIP: Amount of control over members' access to outside opinions on group, its doctrines or leader(s).

Nada.

11. DROPOUT CONTROL: Intensity of efforts directed at preventing or returning dropouts.

Nada

12. VIOLENCE: amount of approval when used by or for the group, its doctrines or leader(s).

A lot of pagans are vegetarians because they don't want any animals harmed way before hitting the plate. "An it harm none...."

13. PARANOIA: amount of fear concerning real or imagined enemies; perceived power of opponents; prevalence of conspiracy theories.

An occasional nutjob, maybe - generally - no.

14. GRIMNESS: Amount of disapproval concerning jokes about the group, its doctrines or its leader(s).

Nope, celebration is about enjoyment.

15. SURRENDER OF WILL: Amount of emphasis on members not having to

be responsible for personal decisions; degree of individual disempowerment created by the group, its doctrines or its leader(s).

n/a

16. HYPOCRISY: amount of approval for other actions (not included above) which the group officially considers immoral or unethical, when done by or

for the group, its doctrines or leader(s); willingness to violate group's declared principles for political, psychological, economic, or other gain.

n/a

• 1 decade ago

"Cult" can refer to any religion. By that definition, Wicca is a cult. So is Christianity and Judaism and Hinduism.

In using the more colloquial definition for link gives, let's break it down:

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

I can't imagine how Wicca could be considered "extreme."

"False" is entirely subjective.

Wicca requires no lifestyle. Wiccans live all sorts of lifestyles.

Wicca has no central leader. Solitary Wiccans have no leaders at all, and capable coven leaders are organizers and teachers more than controllers.

Ergo, Wicca is not a cult.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

By the strict dictionary definition, yes it could, but then so could just about every religious denomination in the world, especially when you ask the members of opposing religions or sects within one religion. This is especially true when people want to focus on the perceived negative connotations of the word and apply it to whatever belief system they don't like. Christians do this to each other all the time when you have rival theologies competing for believers. How many times on here have you seen Protestants refer to Catholics and Mormons as cultists? I've got it even easier. As an atheist, I can call any faith I want a cult, and sticking to strict definitions, I wouldn't be wrong.

• furst
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

confident, Jesus Loves me, confident i've got self belief there are factors of Wicca, which you will misread as being, as you assert EVIL. yet that could be stated for all religious Faiths, and ideology. For all have completed incorrect to Others. this is given which you and others, are blindly following what you perceive to be actual. I even have friends of all faith's, and that i'd ask you to open your coronary heart/innovations to viewing all of us, as your loved ones member. The fellowship and expertise would carry forth the type of piece which you will no longer imagined, if human beings would only provide up JUDGING OTHERS. Blessed be to those who seek for convenience and expertise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yea if you apply the second and so meanings to the world cult. Then Christianity be considered a cult as well and any other religion that applies.

• 1 decade ago

Hardly. There is no "charismatic leader" who tells everyone what to think. No one is asked to give up any possessions, to stop talking to family, to focus entirely on the "leader." Wicca and other pagan religions are the antithesis of a cult, as they stress individuality and thinking for oneself.

• 1 decade ago

Cult is a fairly vague term. Calling something a cult means little more than that its a belief system you disapprove of.

I recall a saying (I don't know who its from):

if one person believes something nutty, they call him insane.

if a few people believe something nutty, they call it a cult.

if millions believe something nutty, they call it a religion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes any grouping of people that exclude others can be considered a cult. A system of religious beliefs and rituals.

Source(s): td
  • 1 decade ago

Not in the pejorative manner of the word, as it lacks charismatic leaders.

In the "a religion with members" definition of the word, yes, but every religion falls under that definition.

• 1 decade ago

Cults are little religions that big religions look down on. That's what the word means.

• 1 decade ago

i dont see anything being a cult

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.