Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

how to tell your kids they have no christmas presants?

I am not cheep, I had to pay a high intrest rate mortgage. I love my Children. I am freaked out because the IRS said I would have my money and they didn't! They need a place to live. To respond to your being mean right now I need you like I wish I could put a whole in my own head Thank You

I do not know how to respond to anyone. This is my first time on.

Favorite Answer

I would just try to make it as festive a morning as possible! Its not about the presents, its about your family. Bake cookies and have them for breakfast! Have Christmas music on in the morning. Sing Christmas carols. You don't say how old they are, but color christmas coloring books. Read the account of the Saviors birth in the book of Matthew. Watch the Christmas parade together. Pop pop corn and tell them that you love them.

This could be the best thing that has ever happened to them. Make the best of it

Tell them the truth. Whatever your situation is (be it run out of time because of work, low on cash this year, etc.), let them know what happened and promise to make it up to them soon, like buy them something later when the paycheck comes in, or take a day off to have a special outing with them or something. Your kids will be sad, but they should understand (it depends on how old they are). Just let them know how much you love them and try to make Christmas as entertaining as possible to keep their minds off the fact that they didn't get presents this year.

Merry Christmas! I hope it all turns out all right for you and your family :D

EDIT:

the third answerer (Extend Expiration) has some great ideas. Listen to her! And ignore the rude answers. Those people are ignorant and don't understand the true meaning of Christmas.

• red

Are you saying you have no Christmas presents for the kids? There are lots of people on right now (if you look around) who don't seem to be getting any presents.

Going without never teaches children that you are mean...it teaches them responsiblity. My folks didn't have much money when I was growing up and we didn't get many presents. Usually one for our birthdays, and maybe two for Christmas.

Show them you love them more than anything in the world. Try to make it a fun day for them. Laughter and joy costs nothing. Sing the holiday songs, dance silly dances, and just enjoy the wonder of children. Show them that material things don't really matter. If you think about it, the best times in your childhood didn't revolve around a present. Our best memories are of our loving parents and relatives. They are MOMENTS, not gifts, that we cherish. Have them help to make breakfast or lunch, or whatever...enjoy their company. This teaches them to not be "down" when bad things happen, but to keep going and keep your chin up. It's about love, that's all.

Read to them...play board games, etc.

Be a silly guy...they will never forget this special Christmas. By the way, when I was young there was no shame in being poor.

Don't fret over this, and don't listen to the nasty ones on here. They are young; life with teach them differently. Good luck; I'll be praying for you. I admire your honesty.

So will your kids.

I have opened my account that that you may e-mail me and we'll see what we can do together. Then I'm going to close it down.

You can't afford Christmas presants is probably because of the financial crunch. I don't think it is a shame without presants. Tell them about your suitation and bring them (if you have some allowance) or make them a nice dinner and explain to them. There are many less fortunate people like you. Many have loss their jobs and some even loss their saving in trust with the bank on shares that are said to be very safe.

---- one year after dad was gone all my mother got us was a monopoly set . we had great fun that year playing it and all the kids at school laughed because that is what I had. ---- but I am not alone and not first if you listen to Dolly Parton she lived that sort of thing before I was even born. coat of many colors and stuff. --- Good Luck Good Bye. I know it hurts but ouch at least they have you. in third world country getting clean water is a big deal. most days they go hungry . some on average only scounge food every three days on average. that would be hell watching you kids go hungry. so many of the third world children are orphans at least they have you. I don't know if you have computer and internet try to download music? a movie? where there is a will there is a lawyer. Good Luck Good Bye

If they are used to having Christmas presents and won't this year then I would honestly explain why however this is depending on their age. And depending on the actual reason I guess.

Also, I know I would go without the Internet for two months just to save a bit of money for even just one Christmas gift for my kid so...

Source(s): Grew up poor, always had gifts from "Santa".

Its not about the gifts, that is a good lesson for the kids to learn... but try to have fun, color christmas pictures, If you are a christian family make it about jesus's birthday. sing, play games just enjoy being a family. I have been there we were broke when i was a kid and we got nothing a few times but we always made it a great day!

They do have a Christmas present. On Christmas morn read to them these words. Luke 2:8-12.

• Ashley

Ignore the rude comments.

My mom couldn't afford christmas presents for us this year, and I'm perfectly fine with it. If your children are old enough, explain to them your economic situation and that you'll make it up when you have the money to spend. Happy holidays.

If they belive in Santa: Say: I heard that Santa was running late on Christmas Eve. That's too bad.

If they ask questions: Tell them Santa is a mystery to u and u don't know y he was late. No one knows!

If they don't belive in Santa :(: Tell the truth. I'm sure they will understand. Try to make it up next year!!