What's the best thing to do: remodel the kitchen or build a carport?

I have to choose between remodelling my kitchen which looks awfully plain and small. The idea is to extend the kitchen to the dining area by adding cabinets and an island (also to be used as an eating table), and a build in washer and dryer. My kitchen is mostly open space and flows directly into the living... show more I have to choose between remodelling my kitchen which looks awfully plain and small. The idea is to extend the kitchen to the dining area by adding cabinets and an island (also to be used as an eating table), and a build in washer and dryer. My kitchen is mostly open space and flows directly into the living room.
Or to choose building a carport / porch which will be accesible through the kitchen back door. Currently the back porch is just a 5m. by 1m. floor, and uncovered, so when it rains everything out there gets wet. No space to store anything, washer and dryer is out there under the open sky. The carport will need a floor too. I thought about putting bricks.
Any ideas, you design gurus out there?
Thanks.