Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why so many homeless veterans in Michigan?

They request help and people throw their nose in the air. Why no help when they are the same people who used to wear the uniform? In uniform people gave them thumbs up. Homeless and in the middle of an intersection they all get the finger. (Middle of intersection with a sign saying "Veteran starving to death in this great USA") Begging for money to eat a white castle hamburger.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Although accurate numbers are impossible to come by -- no one keeps national records on homeless veterans -- the VA estimates that nearly 200,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. And nearly 400,000 experience homelessness over the course of a year. Conservatively, one out of every three homeless men who is sleeping in a doorway, alley or box in our cities and rural communities has put on a uniform and served this country. So, you see it is not just a Michigan problem. It is a United States of America problem.

Our veterans are homeless because in addition to the complex set of factors affecting all homelessness -- extreme shortage of affordable housing, livable income, and access to health care -- a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and substance abuse, compounded by a lack of family and social support networks.

The VA only reaches about 25% of the 400,000 homeless veterans and, frankly, probably does not have the funding to reach for more. It is a problem that will only grow much worse as the war lengthens and the economy sours.

Thank you for serving.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did you know ANYONE can buy a fatigue jacket with some patches and claim to be a Vet? I ran across one a few weeks ago up in D.C. He said he was a homeless Viet Nam vet. I asked what unit he was with and when and what his MOS was(a numeric/alpha designation) and all he could say was he was infantry...never gave me his MOS and got PO'd when I pressed him. Turns out,during the conversation, this 'Viet Nam vet' wasn't old enough to be in Viet Nam when he said he was there, and the unit he mentioned never got to Viet Nam.

We have guys at the intersections here in Va Beach, too (Will work for food, but when I offered one guy a job at my house he growled something and turned away. They just want the money. It's a scam). They park a van in a lot near the intersection then take turns holding the sign. FAKES.

You want to read about fake vets, go to your public library (you DO know where that is, don't you?) and look up STOLEN VALOR.

(USN, retired 1965 -85/in-country Viet Nam vet...fully employed)

• 1 decade ago

NAZGUL, you can go to Hell...

I live in Western Michigan and haven't soon any of the latter...we have no homeless layin' round and our crime right here is rather slim on the news...

I'll admit Detroit is the worst city in the entire country but that's no excuse to insult the entire state...

What state you live in? Sh*tty Texas? All those hicks need to wiped out anyway...God, Country Music is f*cking terrible

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Michigan in general has a high rate of homelessness

As for why so many hard to say but there are also some people who wish to be homeless

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Why are there so many homeless people in Michigan in general? That state is a cesspool. People are committing crimes and going to prison just so they have shelter and 3 meals a day. The officials of the state are corrupt and unworthy of their position.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Drugs and Alcohol, and don't wont to go along with the programs. Los Vagus is the same way, and out west. You can help some out that are sober, but many you cant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

These guys got dumped back into society after Vietnam when the mental health system had a huge overload of PTSD patients. They fell though the cracks and got lost. After thirty odd years on the streets they are "feral" but still worth working with.

• Mich sucks any way. Too many posse-rs when you see a sign saying homeless vet please help. Now on to you > you need attention go talk to mommy and stop trolling, don't you have anything better to do today like spending time with your family or don't they want you to go away also??

• 1 decade ago

Because of the bush "use them up, throw them away" policy.

It's obvious bush couldn't care less about America.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.