promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Electrical Issue - hallway light in one of the units in a 4 plex turns off the basement light in another unit?

Hi, I guess an electrician should take a look at this "wires gone wrong" situation. since it is not my field of expertise (I am a real estate investor) I wanted to ask if this is usually something very simple to resolve for an electrician or is it actually complicated? Again, turning on the hallway light inside one of the apartments turns off the basement light in another. THANKS. ps. i recently purchase this 4-plex and previously there was no issue because the old man in one of the units did not use that light. now that he left the new tenant might want to use it so i guess i have to fix it. regards.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It shouldn't be a major hassle to fix. Plan on paying (one or maybe two) electricians about two hours to repair. The will have to terminate the "leg" that feeds the incorrect light and "fish" or pull new wire and ad a switch and cut in box for the other light. If you are willing to help, the electrician will not need to have a extra set of hands and you will save between $75 to $100 per hour.

CousinJim....I'll put a $100 bill on it that no one will be responsible but the CURRENT owner.

Source(s): Master Electrician
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • breier
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Housing codes require finished length washer to have its own circuit because of power criteria. The A/C unit calls for little or no power to operate at the same time as in effortless words the fan is operating, yet at the same time as the compressor cuts on the ability call for over plenty the circuit. The A/C unit and washer needs a separate circuit. If the A/C unit may be moved, attempt installation it in yet another window and on yet another circuit. wish this helps.

• Jim W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This sounds like a case of a neutral is open on the basement fixture. You really need to get a qualified professional electrician to do the work. It may be a matter of a broken wire, it will depend on how long it takes him to find and repair the problem.

Source(s): 50+ years in the eletrical industry.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe you should check all the outlets and make sure everything is tightened up.had a problem here where one light switch didnt work and come to find out a wire came loose somehow and 3 other outlets didnt work

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is why you payed for Escro Insurance--It's not going to cost you a dime.

First call your local building inspector and tell him you have an emergency, and that you are afraid to go into the house.

Second, call your realtor--he's the guy that has to pay for the repair to your illegal electrical modification, and he'll yell you not to call the building inspector (oops).

--Jim

Source(s): National Electrical Code
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.