best cb radio/scanner to listen to the cops ?

what is the best cb radio/scanner to listen to the police around my area, please give website, thanks. i dont know if there is a difference between scanner n cb besides cb u can talk on. it may be used in my car but doubt it

Favorite Answer

A CB and a scanner are completely different radios. I suppose someone could build a CB and a scanner into one box but afaik it hasn't been done.

With most scanners you can listen to CB channels (you have to put in the frequencies manually - the scanner won't know "CB channel 1", etc.), but who would want to?

The "best scanner" depends on many things. Does your community have a "trunked" radio system? If so you'll want a scanner compatible with that. There are many types of trunked systems and not all scanners can handle them all. (And if it's a digital trunked system and they're using encryption, forget the whole thing. You can't listen to it. Fortunately these systems are rare.)

You'll need to find the frequencies in use in your area. The web has a lot of resources here.

It seems that you are just becoming interested in the scanning hobby. I would recommend picking up a beginner's book on the subject. There is way too much to cover here.

Or... Failing that, see if there is a store catering to ham radio operators in your area - these places sell scanners. So do very large electronics stores like Fry's. I haven't noticed any scanners in Best Buy, but I haven't really been looking; they might have a few.

I hate to recommend that anyone go to Radio Shack, but RS doesn't really sell any *bad* scanners, the trouble is that many of their salespeople know very little about them. (Of course that's true of Fry's and Best Buy also.) Go to a RS store and ask when the sales person who is most familiar with their scanners will be there. Come back at that time, and ask many questions. If they don't seem to know what they're talking about, try a different RS store.

Whomever you buy from, don't let them upsell you - start with the cheapest scanner that will pick up the system you want to listen to.

• wally

Best Radio Scanner

A scanner is a receiver. A CB is a transceiver.

Go to the radioshack.com website and search for police scanner.

Also try the uniden.com website.

A handheld scanner is what I have. An older bearcat but it does fine and it goes everywhere with me.

A CB is totally different than a police scanner.

Check these out: http://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageActi...

FYI: A base scanner is meant to stay in your home and plugs into the wall for power - a handheld CAN plug into the wall OR take batteries and is portable - A mobile is meant to go in your car and runs off (usually) 12v DC

OH and you'll need to know the frequencies of the certain things you want to listen to such as Police Dispatch/police, car to car communication/fire dept./ambulance/ etc.

go to your local radioshack and they will prob have a list of the freqs for you. If not try searching for police scanner freqs

Source(s): I own a few

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): cb radio scanner listen cops: https://shortly.im/FG1Eq

Lots of places sell things that are against the law to use, So don' t go by that. I can assure you that in the US listening to a scanner is not now and has never been against the law. What is against the law is acting on what you hear or making a profit from what you hear. That is also covered under FCC rules. So go ahead listen, have fun seeing what is happening in your town. There are clubs for people who do this as a hobby.