Is Stuttering (Stammering) an obstacle when applying for a commercial pilot license? ?

I mean, can you be rejected because of that?

P.S: I don't stutter badly, it's mild.

• Ozzie
    Favorite Answer

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_o...

The web site states that the FAA will make a decision based on your medical facts. You would have to demonstrate to the FAA that you are able to communicate effectively. The Medical Examiner will take all of your information and send it to the FAA and even then a "no" decision is not the end of it.

Some people don't stutter when singing and there is nothing in the rules saying you can't sing your communication no matter how bad the singing is. You just have to be able to communicate effectively.

Source(s): FAA

If it interferes with your ability to use the radio, it may be an obstacle; if not, it doesn't matter. I'm not aware of a specific disposition for speech impediments, but you'll have to mention it when you go for your medical, and if it is noticeable in everyday conversation, it might also be a problem for the radio.

If it does become a problem, you can often get your medical, anyway, as long as you can prove to the FAA that it's not a problem in flight (which may require some sort of special test under realistic conditions that shows this). If it actually is a problem in flight, then you either won't get the medical, or you'll have special restrictions applied, such as the need for a copilot to handle the radio and/or restriction to flights that don't require radio. Unfortunately, all commercial flights require radio, and not just through a copilot, and so if you get a medical but with restrictions, you might not be able to work as a commercial pilot.

• prato

An applicant for an Airman scientific and student Pilot certificates might desire to be waiting to envision, communicate, write, and understand the English language and communicate it with out accessory or impediment that could intervene with 2 way radio communique. that's fantastically lots verbatim out of the scientific examiner's e book. i assume the actual question is how undesirable the guy stutters or stammers and the examiner's own interpretation. on the least decide for a oftentimes used classification scientific and notice in case you bypass earlier spending various thousand money.

I would say don't worry too much if it's just mild stuttering, but I would prepare well for it. Slow down, speak clearly and precisely. I think they prefer someone who speaks slow but clear than fast but stutters. If you are familiar with the airport (taxiway, runway, etc), then I guess things can be pretty routine.

• Walter

As long as it is not Tourettes, then you should be fine. Think before you speak but don't keep them waiting for 20 minutes whilst you think it through.

You need to be able to speak so they can understand you. Thats it. Nothing more. If you can do that, then good luck and see you around some day.

Source(s): I am a pilot
  • susan

I would think that may be a problem. You need to be able to communicate with the control tower clearly. gl!

IIIiiii Gggguesss SSssso