Poaching Peaches - Sugar Syrup or water?

When is it best to use a sugar syrup for poaching peaches and when is it ok to simply blanch in water for a few minutes. I'm making peaches with Zabaglione as a lighter dessert for Christmas because my brother is diabetic and I want to limit the sugar. I've just experimented with some very small peaches... show more When is it best to use a sugar syrup for poaching peaches and when is it ok to simply blanch in water for a few minutes.

I'm making peaches with Zabaglione as a lighter dessert for Christmas because my brother is diabetic and I want to limit the sugar. I've just experimented with some very small peaches & boiled them for 5 minutes - they cooked though & seemed fine so wonder why I might need to add sugar to the water. I also wanted to add some lemon or orange rind to the water or syrup as a flavouring. What do you think?