Jehovah's Witnesses: Christians Who don't celebrate Christmas, do you feel sad and like you're missing out?

Suzi and Bobby Jim, do you even know what "Christian" means? It means being a follower of Christ. Of all the people who claim they are Christian, Jehovah's Witnesses fit the bill the most.

Favorite Answer

I have felt like that before, probably because of all the tv and advertising and stuff like that. (designed to pull at your heartstrings so you can spend, spend, spend.)

But that doesn't make me want to go ahead and celebrate it and offend my Maker, Jehovah God.

To be a true Christian is hard work. It is never easy, not for the early Christians and not for Christians today. Jesus even said: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and continually follow me." (Matthew 16:24) Sincerely wanting to follow Christ means that we have to be willing to make sacrifices and put God first, not our own imperfect fleshly desires. (Matthew 6:33)

It's easy to get caught up in all the glitter and sparkle of the world and think that by being strict followers of Christ that we miss out because we don't get to do "exciting" things, like those who do not care to follow God's Word.(ie: things that appear exciting: immorality, drugs, getting drunk, taking serious risks doing whatever they want). (1 John 2 15-17)

But since faithful Witnesses of Jehovah regularly study the Bible, they know that it is Satan who is behind these things. He makes things look innocent and exciting. Santa and exchanging gifts and singing Christmas Carols and eating a meal together with family to celebrate Christmas looks sweet and innocent, but what is behind all of that? It's roots are those of people who offended Jehovah. Those who chose to ignore what their own Creator wanted from them. To make friends with such ones by following their traditions makes Jehovah's heart feel hurt. (Genesis 6:6) Our love for Jehovah God motivates us to obey him so we make Jehovah glad.(Proverbs 27:11) What is not advertised during Christmas are the serious problems that arise as a result of this pagan celebration, such as serious debt, resentment for others (because of gifts), drunkeness, family breakups, drinking and driving. So while it seems innocent, knowing where the celebration actually came from and the problems that arise often times from these celebrations, we can see that it is not something that has God's backing.

We are imperfect, and it is hard for us to see the things hidden behind Satan's wicked system of things that we are living in, but Jehovah God lovingly provided his Word for us so that we can have something that guides us in our life. In the end, even if we feel like we are missing out by refraining from things of this world, we will be rewarded because of our faithfulness.(1 John 2:17; Ephesians 2:2; 2 Corinthians 4:4) This life is not all there is. By enduring faithfully not being friends of the world(James 4:4) we will be rewarded with life that will be more exciting and better than anything we could have imagined, much better than anything in this world. Jehovah rewards his servants for their faithfulness and endurance because he is righteous! (Hebrews 6:10; Hebrews 11:6; Psalm 37:29; Revelation 21:4: Matthew 24:13)

After Jesus said that those who want to follow him must pick up their torture stake he goes on to say in verse 26 and 27 (of Matthew 16):

"For what benefit will it be to a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his soul? or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man is destined to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will recompense each one according to his behavior."

Christmas wasn't about the birth of Christ. It was originally the pagan celebration of the solstice called Yule. Romans tried to convert them into Christians by taking their holiday and injecting "Christian" theology into it, like the birth of Christ. But the bible never says Jesus' birthdate, only suggests that it was way before december. Also, none of his deciples nor anyone else in the bible ever celebrated birthdays or other pagan based holidays. The date of Jesus' birth was not important (otherwise there would have been a commandment to celebrate a specific date), the fact that he died for our salvation is.

Anyone celebrating "Christmas" is actually taking part in a pagan tradition disguised as a Christian celebration that has nothing to do with Jesus. The "Christmas tree" was also a pagan symbol that was converted into a false Christian item to be decorated.

No. To me Christians are not supposed to celebrate pagan holidays. As a Jehovah's Witness, I AM a Christian. I'm actually relieved that I'm not taking part in a celebration that I don't believe in. I do feel sad that most so-called "Christians" don't know where Christmas actually came from though.

My father is actually a Baptist preacher and I am afflilated with the JW. I know it's wrong becasue it's a pagan's holiday. I'm not sad because I know that Jesus wasn't born on this day. Besides, there's no where in the bible that actually indicates the birth of Christ on December 25. It's a pagan holiday. My father even stated this, although he is an JW and is not studying.

• NMB

No I do not. I don't have to deal with all the headaches that go along with this holiday.

I know several "Born again" Christians who do not celebrate Christmas for the same reasons I don't.

Not really. It's kind of awkwards sometimes when people are constantly saying to me "Merry Christmas" and I have to find a way to politely tell them that's not my thing. But I don't feel sad. I believe celebrating Christmas is wrong because it's pagan, so it anything I feel sad for everyone else who thinks it's a real "Christian" holiday. But I do enjoy the time off from school/work, so it all works out either way. Hope that helps.

What am I missing out on? Spending lots and lots of money??

No, I am not stressed or sad. I'm in a good mood, with money in my pocket and Jehovah in my heart.

Its pagan to celebrate the birth of Christ ??????

Its called Christmas not Satanmas.

There is nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

ROFL !

Who told you that Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians !!??

OMG !

JW's like Jesus' teachings, but they deny His Deity, and the Trinity. They adhere to (some) Old Testament teachings and have not comprehended God's grace.

JW's are not Christian.

JW's belong to a large cult with many sincerely deceived folks.

Source(s): The Watchtower writings include false prophecies and changing the words of the Bible. (Not good things.)

Jehovah Witnesses are not Christians. They are part of a cult.