denimcap asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 1 decade ago

are pine cones edible, and how?

I saw pine nuts at the market today. Do all pine cones have edible kernels, and how do you extract them? (Ex: could I do it camping?)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pines (family Pinaceae, genus Pinus). About 20 species of pine produce seeds large enough to be worth harvesting; in other pines the seeds are also edible, but are too small to be of value as a human food.The nuts are located at the base of the scales of the cones. Placing a pine cone by a hot fire helps open the pine cone for easier harvesting.

Pine nuts contain (depending on species) between 10–34% protein, with Stone Pine having the highest content. They are also a source of dietary fibre. When first extracted from the pine cone, they are covered with a hard shell (seed coat), thin in some species, thick in others. The nutrition is stored in the large female gametophytic tissue that supports the developing embryo (sporophyte) in the centre. Although a nut in the culinary sense, in the botanical sense pine nuts are seeds; being a gymnosperm, they lack a carpel (fruit) outside.

The shell must be removed before the pine nut can be eaten. Unshelled pine nuts have a long shelf life if kept dry and refrigerated (at –5 to +2 °C); shelled nuts (and unshelled nuts in warm conditions) deteriorate rapidly, becoming rancid within a few weeks or even days in warm humid conditions. Pine nuts are commercially available in shelled form, but due to poor storage, these rarely have a good flavour and may be already rancid at the time of purchase.

• kirker
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Edible Pine Cones

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

are pine cones edible, and how?

I saw pine nuts at the market today. Do all pine cones have edible kernels, and how do you extract them? (Ex: could I do it camping?)

Source(s): pine cones edible how: https://tr.im/MgpM3
  • Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axFnt

No the cones aren't but the seeds inside are, they're called pine nuts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

ummm picking a regular pine cone off a pine tree and eating it wouldnt be a good idea but i geuss they make edable pine cones if thats what you saw.

if you saw it do you think the market is lying to you or somthing? obviously you can eat some sort of pine cone or maybe it was for decorating for christmas i dont really know

you extract them by picking them off a tree

• Lane
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Call your local 4-H and ask them. They have the answer to everything.

Source(s): I guess if you were really hungry you would eat a pinecone.
  • 1 decade ago

no probably not but if they are then wild ones arnet who knows were animals do there stuff lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.