Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Is buying and owing a black dog haram or allowed?

My friend told me I shouldn't get the dog but it is really cute and lives at the pound.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

According to Islaamic Sharee’ah, it is not permitted to keep a dog except within narrowly-defined limits, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 2322)

Dogs are extremely naajis (impure, unclean). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a dog drinks from the vessel of any one of you, let him wash it seven times" (reported by Muslim, no. 279). According to another report: ". . . and clean it the eighth time with earth." (Saheeh Muslim, no. 280).

It is forbidden in Islaam to sell a dog and to receive payment for it, as is reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from Abu Mas’oud al-Ansaari: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade (accepting) the price of a dog. (al-Fath, no. 2237)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us not to resemble dogs by placing our forearms on the ground during sujood (prostration), as in reported in the hadeeth narrated by Anas ibn Maalik, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Do sujood properly; none of you should spread his forearms like a dog does." (al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 822).

Whoever keeps a dog in his house is denied the blessing of the angels’ presence in his house, as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 3225).

Keeping dogs nowadays is the habit of the kuffaar, who adopt them as friends, kiss them, let them lick them and their clothes, sleep with them and even leave them money in their wills. Keeping a dog is an imitation of the kuffaar. Some Muslims may claim that they need to keep a dog at home for purposes of protection, to which we respond that nowadays there are burglar alarm systems and other measures one may take for security purposes, and there is no need to keep a dog, praise be to Allaah.

It only remains for us to say that the fact that it is forbidden to keep a dog and interect closely with it does not mean that we should not be kind or feel compassion towards dogs if we see them in a pitiful state. These are two entirely separate matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that "a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174).

According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whilst a man was walking he became very thirsty, so he went down to a well and drank from it. When he came out, he saw a dog panting and biting the soil because of thirst. The man said, ‘He is suffering the same as I suffered,’ so he filled his shoe (with water), came out and let the dog drink until his thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and forgave him because of it." The people asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals?" He said, "In every living thing there is a reward." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 2363).

We do not want to omit reminding you of the importance of reading the Qur’aan properly and referring to it. You say in your question that the story of the thirsty dog is in the Qur’aan, and that is not the case, as it is reported in the Sunnah.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

• pink
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Owning a dog is not considered haram in Islam. People can and do own dogs for things like hunting, guarding the house, or herding sheep. It is disliked in Islam to keep a dog in the house. This is because, among other things, dogs are ritually impure in Islam. Since Muslims worship (and eat, and live:) in their homes, it is important not to have ritual impurities in the house. The Muslim who owns a dog should provide adequate shelter for the dog outside the home (or in the garage or basement - but not in the living quarters). We Muslims are enjoined to show kindness and mercy to God's creation. Owning a dog comes with other responsibilities, as the relationship between humans and dogs is complicated with the canine concept of the pack and the leader of the pack.

There are some ahadith about black dogs. However, if one looks closely at any black dog, one will notice at least one white hair on each of them. I have seen many dogs, but I have never found one that did not have at least one white hair on them. We Muslims should not be cruel to an animal just because we come across a hadith. Our `ulama know much more about the ahadith than do we, and I do not know of any (real, not islamqa or other similar amateur-run sites) fatawa obligin us to seek out and destroy black dogs. We Muslims have better things to do with our time, anyway, like worshipping God.

Muhammad K is a "Submitter," not a Muslim. The two are separate religions. Submitters, or Qur'aniyun/Qur'an-only, reject Prophet Muhammad and consider two verses of the Qur'an to be extras. See http://www.geocities.com/abaleada/Islam/refutation... for more information about the Submitters, why they are not Muslim, and the refutation of their cult.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Having a dog for any reason other than the three reasons mentioned in the coming Hadith is prohibited in shariah.

Abu Huairah narrated that the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily unless the dog is used for guarding a farm, a cattle, or for hunting".(Reported in Sunan and other Hadith books).

The same meaning is reported in Sahihain from Abu Zubair (). It is proved that the Prophet (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Angels do not get into a house where there is a picture or a dog". As regards touching a dog, the preponderant opinion is that its saliva is impure as in a Hadith.

"The purification of the utensils belonging to anyone of you, after they have been licked by a dog, lies in washing them seven times, using sand for the first time". The correct opinion is that every thing other than saliva, urine and dung is pure. Allah knows best.

@Muhamed K

the example you brought about "Ahl Alkahf" proves my point.

because their Allah says in the Holy Quran :

"and their dog stretching forth his two forelegs at the Wasid'

"waseid" means : "By the door.''

so the dog was for protection, specially that they were escaping from the unbelievers and were afraid that someone may find them.

ofcourse I wont take your explanation for any Arabic word, even for your own name and you know why.

beside you follow a man that claimed to be a messenger after the prophet peace be upon him, so you are a follower of Rashid Khalifa not a muslim.

• 1 decade ago

islamically u are only allowed to keep a dog as a means of protection as we are meant to take precautions, as for a black dog, the hadith clearly states that the shaytan takes the form of a black dog and only in this case we are allowed to kill the dog.

Source(s): Hadith - Bukhari 3:515, Narrated Abu Huraira I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)." ""If these dogs were not a creation(of God/Allah) I would have ordered to kill them but I fear I don't eliminate any creation(of God/Allah).You kill every black dog among them as it is a kind of Satan"(Hadith-Sahi Muslim)-A black dog passing from in front of Salah breaks Salah(Sahi Muslim)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

dogs islam haram halal

• 1 decade ago

Your'e Christian we are allowed dogs. Dogs are mans best friend. Maybe mohammed had a bad experience with a dog.

• 1 decade ago

A guide dog, sheep dog or guard dog is only allowed...regardless of colour

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yup MK excellent, it makes no sense why Allah(SWT) would stop us from being friends with such a companion. I've read the Hadith and it makes no sense, what about other animals??

Just remember to name him Ziggy . . . hey it's the coolest name ;-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Quranic Truth

18:18 "You would think that they were awake, when they were in fact asleep. We turned them to the right side and the left side, while their dog stretched his arms in their midst."

Hadith tells us that angels won't enter a room where there is a dog. That means that for 309 years that the sleepers were in the cave, no angel ever entered. Yet God says "We turned them...." The use of "we" clearly indicates the participation of angels. There is absolutely no reason to mention the dog as part of this story, except to make it clear to future generation that dogs are permitted to live among people, right "in their midst." And 18:22 clearly shows that the dog was counted right along with the believers.

"Some would say, they were three; their dog being the fourth, while others would say, Five; the sixth being their dog, as they guessed. Others said, seven, and the eighth was their dog. Say, My Lord is the best knower of their number. Therefore, do not argue with them; just go along with them. You need not consult anyone about this."

5:16 "So they went out and departed and the young man's dog was with them." And as they return home, after all the adventure and good things that happen , in chapter: " After this Tobias went on his way, praising God because He had made his journey as success....So they went their way, and the dog went along behind them."

Dogs have always participated in the sporting world, as the Quran attests in 5:4

"They consult you concerning what is lawful for them; say, Lawful for you are all good things, including what trained dogs and falcons catch for you. You train them according God's teachings. You may eat what they catch for you, and mention God's name thereupon. You shall observe God. God is most efficient in reckoning."

Yet according to Hadith, anything a dog touches must be washed seven times, the final time in dust. That seems inconsistent with the Quran saying you may eat what they catch for you. The beautiful bird brought back proudly in the Retriever's mouth would have to be washed seven times, finally in dust. It does not sound very appetizing.

Islam is in Glorious Quran and not in hadith

• Kobun
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

More traditions. I had a little black cockapoo for awhile. She was the most loyal, friendliest, bravest and most intelligent dog I knew. Like a little black teddybear with thick red moustaches.

There's no prohibition against owning dogs of any colour in the Qur'an.

And if this dog is in the pound, you might be saving it's life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just dnt keep the dog in the house but u can keep a cat in the house

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.