How long can a person survive without eating?

My boyfriend was arrested for expressing his freedom of speech. If it goes to court he'll absolutely be found innocent; I'm sure of it. The jail he's in won't provide him with vegan food! And they won't even let me bring him any food because they say it's a "security issue!" Please help me. I'm so scared; I don't know why the police are doing this to us! What ever happened to protect and serve!? He's probably going to be in there for awhile (probably no more than 2 weeks though) and I'm scared for his life! His non-vegan parents hate me and say I'm "encouraging" him, but he was vegan before we met anyway! I can't sleep. This is keeping me awake. I don't want him to get sick. This is not how I wanted our Christmas to be! Please help me. Thank you....

Please don't answer just to be rude. Your answer will be reported and ignored. This is something I need serious answers for.

Thank you so much to everyone for your answers... I was really expecting a lot of trolls to answer. We have decided we're definitely going to fight this, even for the very short amount of time that he's actually in jail (there's no way he'll be found guilty in court because his arrest was illegal... all he did was practice his entirely legal free speech). My only concern is how long this will all take. I'm also going to be contacting the ACLU which I didn't think of before so thank you for that. This is all a lot to go through around this time of year but there is no reason that the jail can't serve him vegan food AND won't even let me bring him some!

Favorite Answer

If I know anything about jails. They will serve him 3 meals a day. I'm assuming some of them must have fruits and vegetables. So hope that they do and he can eat what he can. =) Good luck.

You can´t survive without water for more than 2 days...but without food depends on yourself but for the most part about 1 week.....

"In a 1997 article in the British Medical Journal, Michael Peel, senior medical examiner at the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture, cites well-documented studies reporting survivals of other hunger strikers for 28, 36, 38 and 40 days"

"From a medical standpoint, most agree that human beings can survive for up to four to eight weeks without food, although some people in history have fasted much longer."

"Most commentators note that Food is not usually urgently needed in survival situations because a human can survive for several weeks without it"

"Although you can live several weeks without food, you need an adequate amount to stay healthy."

sources listed below, respectively.

Really, I'm not trying to be rude, but rather than worry about how long he can survive without eating, you need to be trying to do something about their refusal to respect his dietary choices. I know in prisons they have to give prisoners a vegetarian, kosher or Muslim diet if they request it.

Also, again, not trying to be rude, but if it came down to my survival I think I would eat the best I could under the circumstances and go back to my vegan diet when I got out. Surely he gets some sort of vegetables and breads-they may have butter or milk in them but he has to eat until someone can get it sorted out for him.

Most doctors commonly will say 4-6 weeks that a person can go without eating. However, there are cases of people going longer without dying.

this is not rude and please if you feel the need, report me, U r boyfriend can survive with out food for 4 weeks, but he has to have water to drink, though you must know he will be very skinny. you need to report to human services in your area about his condition to eat only vegan foods and they will contact the police station there to confirm about his eating of only vegan foods and they will make a report and the police will conply with the requested in fo and he should get some sort of foood. Merry Christmas to you both

• ?

he can survive without food for the two weeks. he will be very hungry, and tell him not to eat too much when he gets out. maybe he can ask for something, not too much work 2 prep. like a pb sandwich. or a baked potatoe with nothing on it. tell him to drink lots of water. adk if he can get transfered.

Good Luck!!

In 1981, Bobby Sands lasted for 66 days, but of course he died at the end of his hunger strike. I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands

Good luck with the hunger strike and the court case.

• Maggie

2 or 3 weeks without food won't harm him, as long as he drinks plenty of water. If staying hydrated will be a challenge, you need to tell him to eat whatever they give him.

Listen, your boyfriend won't be any good if he kills himself over a situation that is temporary and he has no control over. He'd lose 60+ years that his life could potentially hold for him, in which he could make a world of a difference fighting for animal rights and environmental issues. If he starves himself or dies of dehydration or attracts the attention of thugs in jail who'll beat him to pieces for his diet, he'll basically win a tiny battle but lose the war.

This is an extraordinary situation and he can't hold it against himself. Think about people who are shipwrecked and have had to eat the remains of people to survive. Sometimes s-word happens and you need to play with the cards you get. It's not worth killing yourself to stick to a moral ideal that might be incompatible with the situation he's in. Think about it another way: I'm going to head overseas when I finish school to provide health care and humanitarian aid in underpriviliged countries. I'm not going to die of dehydration and from starving myself 2 weeks into my excursion because people in Ghana don't have trays of tofu and nutritional yeast for me. Sometimes the situation you are in is greater than the self-conceit and regard we hold for ourselves and our labels and titles.

He needs to get his priorities straight now, before you end up accidentally having a kid with a dude who'd rather starve himself to death and his kids to death potentially than to eat something non-vegan... I mean, come ON, girl, wake up. He needs to at least eat food with dairy and eggs, and to hydrate himself, if it lasts longer than 2 weeks. I honestly almost hope you fabricated this scenario to see what sort of answers you'd get.

If the focus of the case against him is truly freedom of speech (he didn't yell "fire" in a theater or expose himself in public), contact your local ACLU. They will probably do their best to keep him out of jail.