what do you think about Joel Osteen? ?

i like Joel Osteen, watched him a few years ago and bought 1 of his books. but after hearing from my aunt that he teaches too much about prosperity and seeing ABC covering him and studying him , i have to agree.

why doesn't he proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ? i don't think each of his audience is a believer and they already know the gospel so they just need to hear prosperity teachings?

if not, how can Osteen talk about God's many blessings and He will give it to you.. without 1st accepting the Son and obeying His commands?

i rarely watch his ministry now and i've switched to Dr. Michael Youssef's Leading the Way. have you heard abut him? if not, you should see his ministry, it's pretty awesome !!

www.leadingtheway.org

thanks !!

Miss Love

whoever said i hated his accomplishments? i still consider him to be kool, but in terms of a motivational speaker. and God is love, it's not about being in fear 24/7, so not all pastors condemn the world by applying this. however, the consequences of not accepting the Son is what we should fear, as Jesus said to fear Him who can throw your body and soul into Hell. thus i'm just very curious why Joel's not teaching the book of John or Matthew? isn't written that no one comes to the Father except through Jesus, John 14:6? Jesus was here to call the sick, not the healthy. in the same way, Joel should also, and i said 'also,' preach the good news of Jesus Christ's salvation to mankind to a world who has shut Him out.

anyway, there are yes and no's to this question. i guess the true answer lies with God.

thanks for your input and every1 elses !!

Favorite Answer

First, thank you for sharing this website information. I am not familiar with this ministry, but after reading your question and checking it out, I really appreciate their message. This sounds like the sort of church we have been praying for - so I am truly thankful you shared this!

Now, to your question: I know a number of the people who have responded to you - several in particular whose opinions I greatly respect, although we are going to disagree on this point. I think your question and observations go beyond the man, to address the prosperity doctrine in general - as well as the absence of the teaching of Christ in the church. You've hit a chord with me, so I have a few thoughts to share about this.....

I do believe Joel Osteen is sincere, and I believe his heart is for God and for the people. However, I also believe that his speaking appeals to the masses because he maintains a very careful, politically and socially correct style. His teaching IS motivational, but the gospel of Christ has become a blurp to be inserted in a little prayer at the end of the show, instead of the message of the cross as the Apostle Paul preached it.

According to Romans 10, faith comes because we've heard the gospel of Jesus Christ and THEN we call out to the Lord. But if we employ Joel Osteen's method, (and a very popular method in mainstream religion today...) faith MIGHT come while we're repeating a little prayer that has SOME of the gospel buried in it, (usually inserted in the last few moments of his broadcast). Seems very ineffective to me.....

People will say "Yes, but Joel is preaching to the church, not the lost - and believers need to hear these inspirational messages." But I would submit the gospel of Jesus Christ is NOT only for the lost, but it is the milk, then the meat and potatoes that believers are meant to be equipped and grow thereby. Since the gospel itself IS the power of God unto salvation (all aspects of salvation), then it must be the absence of the true gospel which has rendered the church largely powerless today......

The reason that salvation and miracles abounded in the Book of Acts church is because they never turned loose of the apostle's doctrine - (which is Jesus Christ, His death, burial and resurrection for our deliverance). But we don't hear so much about this today, as we hear about the "gospel of us" - "who I am in the Lord, my "great faith" and what great and mighty works I can accomplish, as well as what all I can have and command in His Name".......especially when I keep writing those checks to the prosperity preachers.

I don't disagree with those who hold to the view that God wants His people to prosper - I just believe too many televangelists and leaders have turned the true gospel into "another which is NOT another", as Paul would say, pointing us to our pocketbooks instead of a vital relationship with the living Christ.

To the degree that we focus on our finances and ourselves instead of Christ and HIS work - to that degree we are rendered powerless, deceived, and largely impotent in the church today.

The modern prosperity movement comes so contrary to Paul's writing to Corinth: Paul wrote that believers should give out of the abundance God had already blessed them with, so the needs of all believers would be met and there would be equality: Instead the modern prosperity doctrines teach us to give out of what we DON'T have so God will bless us - even paying the preacher before we pay our power bills - so OUR needs will be met.....not someone else's. We're giving so God will bless us....and that is NOT NOT NOT how the kingdom of God operates. We're taught that the "seed to sow" is our money....but the Word teaches that the seed sown is the living Word of God, sown in the hearts of men. Not money sown into a local church.....

And what is the result of this popular misinterpretation of prosperity? Instead of equality and life, we're seeing a handful of preachers grow wealthier and wealthier while people in the congregations suffer lack.

We also see the lost looking at these prosperity preachers, fully aware that their message is empty and hypocritical....so instead of turning to Christ the lost look elsewhere for the answers. After all, if anyone knows the futility of a full pocketbook but an empty heart....it's people who are still in the world.

I heartily agree with your assessment, and I pray that more believers in the body will come to the revelation you share. Thank you so much! God bless you for upholding the word of Christ and His precious Son in truth.

In Christ, Cassandra

• Dawn C

His dad, John Osteen, was a very good Bible teacher. When he died, the church talked Joel into taking his dad's place. From what I understand, Joel was a 'behind the scenes' type of guy- running cameras or something like that. He was not used to being in front of people. Unfortunately, Joel is more of a motivational speaker, not a gospel preacher. He has even said on certain talk shows that he cannot say that other religions won't go to heaven. He believes there are other ways to heaven, which is totally unscriptural. Even though he gives altar calls at the end of his sermons, I seriously wonder if Joel is even saved! Nobody who calls themselves a true Christian could ever say that Jesus is not the only way to heaven, when Jesus Himself said "No man comes to the Father but by Me".

Joel has strayed far from the biblical gospel and is preaching nothing more than psychology. Even the Jews and atheists like to listen to him preach! Now there's a problem! The Bible says that the gospel is an offense to those who don't believe. Jews and atheists should be offended when they hear him preach, if he was really preaching the gospel, yet they like him. That tells me a lot. It is sad, because he is deceiving thousands into believing a watered down, Christ-less social gospel that's all about you, and being a better you. The Bible is not about us. It's about Jesus.

• Lucy

Joel Osteen is a question in himself! He has a church with 25,000 + members and still wants donations. I wonder what his answer would be if you asked him how much is enough? And I wonder if he has read that it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom Of Heaven..........He and his program is an offense to the born again christian world!!!!!! That is what I think about him. I do not hate him, just his selfish and deceiving ways.

I believe Joel Osteen is a great and respectable minister who likes to focus on motivating Christians to believe in God.

We cant judge him because God doesn't like us to judge one an other.He doesn't just preach one thing he preaches on Gods mercy,on the importance of praying and to have a positive mindset,etc.

I think Joel Osteen is a very charasmatic person, a great motivational speaker but a man chosen by God to be a pastor/teacher he is NOT!

He teaches a message that will take you directly to hell ... do not pass go and collect $200.

You judge for yourself what the Scriptures have to say about the subject.

Pay special attention to verse 14

Eph. 4:11-16 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we ALL come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children (babes), tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery (con) of men, in the cunning craftiness by which they lie in wait to deceive, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head --- Christ --- 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

II Tim. 4:1-5 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful to all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

The word "gospel" means good news and the good news that Joel Osteen SHOULD be teaching is that Christ took upon His own body the sin of the world, died, and rose again the third day making it possible for every individual that believes in Him will obtain eternal life.

Gospel

I Cor. 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you --- unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.

Now I ask you .... have you ever heard Joel Osteen teach this message? There is NO other message greater than the message of salvation.

If you have to watch a TV minister, watch and listen to Charles Stanley at least he'll give you the truth.

Source(s): The New Open Bible Study Edition, NKJV

I notice most ministers have a main theme. Joel's is prosperity, TD Jakes is fighting off Satan's attacks, John Hagee's is avoiding Hell, Joyce Meyer's talks a lot about woman's interests like fashion ect. but delivers a great message ect.

Olsteen's sermons do have a lot of "feel good" tones which seem to work-look how big his Church is. I am glad we have the variety-It keeps things from getting stale.

I am glad we have them all. It sure beats watching the other garbage on television and I am inspired just the same by all God's messages.

Source(s): My opinion from watching
  • He does not teach the truth. I've never liked him.

Please read the scriptures and let the Holy Spirit interpret God's Word for you.

i think his wife is a little more biblical than her husband . He seems to be a really good teacher, but from what i know about the bible , he along with some of the best teachers in the world get some things wrong. but also those who are not teachers and think they know what the bible says are also wrong too. apparently he is doing something right or his church would not be a foot ball stadium

Source(s): and yes i heard of micheal youssef

Pastor Joel Osteen is an honourable man of God. I have read his books and watched his sermon podcasts. God has blessed him with the gift to encourage, inspire and challenge people to believe in the goodness of God. He is not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, like the apostle Paul said, "for it is the power of God unto salvation". (Romans 1:16) The word "salvation" in the original Greek "soteria" means preservation, wholeness, soundness, deliverance and prosperity. Therefore, prosperity is a result of believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus Himself said "the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me." (Matthew 11:5-6) The poor cannot help the poor, so God wants His children blessed to be a blessing. Biblical prosperity isn't just about finances, but in every area of our lives - "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, even as your soul prospers." (3 John 2) Well, I respect your opinion of Pastor Joel Osteen. I'm just sharing my views about him, as well as God's heart concerning the well-being of His children and the lost sheep.

God bless you.

-----

Merry Christmas to you, sister Cassandra, and to everyone here. God bless you. :)

" It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty. It's God's will for you to pay your bills and not be in debt. " Joel Osteen

Joel Osteen is a FALSE teacher dishing a false religion in name of Christianity and Christ and Joel Osteen is totally out of sync with realities of real non-American Christianity outside of cushy and comfortable America.

Reality Check:

http://www.gfa.org/persecution

http://www.gfa.org/emailupdate