IL09 asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

What can the navy do for me? Please Help,and answer!?

Im a senior in high school im trying to decide on what to do after high school. I didnt do good my freshmen and sophmore year of highschool so i dont have a very good gpa and have no one to help pay for college if i choose to do that. what are some ways to get money for college if your on your own? I have already talked to a navy recruiter and trying to decide if its for me. The pros ive found are a for sure place to live (because been kicked out with nowhere to go), a job ill have no matter what instead of out in the civillian world with the recession the growing number of peole getting laid off and even hearing about people with degrees not being able to find a job, also life insureance and dental, a chance not to be in a hectic environment and households like in now, also i wont have to go to a two year college if do the navy my recruiter said (also plan to get college credits while there he said by online courese which are accredited for). The cons i can think of are being away from friends and some family members when not fighting with them. Also having to get use to the new life. If anyone could please help me id be very greatful. If you could tell me what you think about the situation in my case and also about navy life and what it was like for you and if youd ever reenlist or not and if so why or why not. Sorry this was not very well formated and punctuated i just have alot on my mind lately and if i go i plan on being acive in the navy.(will i be able to make friends easy there and enjoy myself or will it feel miserable and wanting to count down the days, some people say alls you do if your on a ship which almost all jobs in navy are on ship is cleaning the ship is this true? (another quick note i took the practice asvab and scored a 39 but i know need to get a real good score so can get a good job its december so can really wait awhile to sign up since graduate in may)

Favorite Answer

I did the navy right out of high school, probably the best career decision I have ever made since it put me on a fast track career plan. I did just 4 years, thats all I ever wanted to do. I did intel, mainly to get a security clearance..a security clearance is as good as a degree and a lot of high paying jobs require it for the government. Its a GREAT thing to have. the navy is a good choice, sail the world...visit and meet a lot of places.

to answer some of your questions, yes there is a lot of cleaning on the ship and if you are ships company (as in you are assigned to that ship for your navy term of enlistment) you will be cleaning it especially if you are low ranked..E3 and under but any rank will clean.

you need to work on that asvab score..retake it and get above a 60 and you can get almost any job they offer.

get a job that you can use outside the navy...

the GIBILL is the best way to get money for college, I basically used it and got paid for going to college because college didnt cost me as much as they were giving. I got my degree and I still have thousands banked up to use if I want.

would I re-enlist? no, but only because the navy life isnt something I am interested in..would I go out to sea again for a few months?? in a heart beat...loved it. Didnt love it so much at the time but I would love to live the cruise time again.

because of my navy experience..I was able to rake in over $120K this year alone..just got my degree too. I got out of the navy 5 years ago

Its a great way to build your backbone for real life. The people who are trying to sign you up sometimes will tell you everything you want to hear vs what you need to hear.

As for your GPA that will have no impact on the Navy (You want to do very good on your asvab so that you can get a good job in the Navy). Look to get a job you can also use in the good old civilian sector if you want to get out after your 4 years and if not you will be doing something you like.

When I first got into the military I felt that I made a huge mistake and disliked the service strongly but as I learned how to adapt to the military life it started to be fun and friends will come very easy as long as you work hard and play hard with everyone. You will see that the longer you are in the military the less junk you will have to deal with because of your rank and taking on more leadership.

Sign up for the GI Bill (for school) and USE it. Depending on what your rate is you can easily go to school while you are in the military. I did two tours in Iraq and got out back in 06 as a 2nd class petty officer. Civilian sector is a little tight right now so I am going to go back into the military and to be honest I didn't want to leave my family, friends or life that I had but I found out that you can always make a better life no matter where you go.

To sum up this long answer the military is what you make of it and you can make your life easy or hard.... The path you take is totally up to you and if you take the right path you will be really happy with what you can accomplish. If you have questions about the Navy or things you hear from your recruiter please feel free to email me anytime. Good luck with your journey and I wish you the best of luck and a happy holiday.

The Navy will give you the following -

1. Three hots and a flop.

2. Money on the first and the fifteenth.

3. Structure and discipline which you seem to be lacking.

4. A purpose for you life which you seem to be lacking.

5. The efficiency not to write run on sentences.

6. It will qualify you or the GI Bill so you can go to college when you get out in 4 years.

7. An excuse to delay deciding what to do with your life for 4 years.

You need the Navy more than the Navy needs you. Go Navy!!

The higher tech jobs in the Navy, electronics, mech. tech and Nuke schools are very fast paced. They are quite hard and failure rates are pretty high. If you do fail in these schools, you will be forced into a seaman rate. Cleaning the ship, chipping and painting, general ship's maintenance. You will most likely be on a 3/2/2/3 (years) ship/ shore duty rotation. Life at sea is really boring, you can expect to work better than 50 to 60 hours a week with full duty days. Duty days will require a 24 hour coverage of your shop or job location. If I had any advice for you, stay in school, go to a Junior college or Tech school. You need to make friends with your family, live at home and remember that any freedom you have will be more than you have in the military.

Good Luck!

The Navy can take care of you. You will have full medical, dental be housed and have food on the table. I can't complain the Navy took me out of a rough neighborhood where my friends were either going to jail or they were already dead. My education was really bad as well. I barely got in. 11 years later I have done really well for myself. I just finished my AAS Degree and now on my way to a BA degree. The Navy was the best choice I've made in my career. Looking back now many folks have done well for themselves who I left. You're family and friends will always be there. It's all on how you want to make a better life for yourself.

Source(s): US Navy 11 years and going

I enlisted in the Navy at age 20 with a BA in math. I enlisted rather than go for some officer program because I didn't know if I wanted to make the commitment. In Boot Camp (back then it was 13 weeks) my rating (specialty) found me. I advanced as rapidly as possible, and when it came to extend my enlistment for my E-6, somebody dusted off my degree and recommended me for OCS (Officer Candidate School). I accepted and made the Navy my career. I retired at 45.

In the Navy I found a new circle of friends. Yeah, I enjoyed my family on occasion, but I found that not many of them shared the same views as I did. So, rather than argue with them, Besides, because of security, I couldn't tell them much about what I did or even where I did it. So I began spending more and more time with my new buddies. Most of the girls I dated were military (all of them were military after I became an officer).

When I retired, I my MA in Math and my Doctorate in Business, mostly on the GI Bill. That took three years. Then I started a second career with a management consulting firm for which I managed all the military contracts on the West Coast. I retired from that job after 12 years at age 60. I now had two retirement checks and about a third of everything I'd made over the years. I'd purchased a home with a VA-insured loan and paid it off in ten years.

At the beginning of this year I moved into a VA Home. I'm renting my home to an officer from a nearby Air Force base. The fees at the home max out at less than the rent from my home, so just about everything coming in is net income. I can travel just about anywhere in the world for free. My medical and dental are free. Room and board is free. Entertainment is free. Transportation is free. The only large expenses I have are fuel, taxes, license, and insurance for my car, my cell phone, and my Internet access.

I'll tell you, unless you get into some educational program, you really aren't going to have time to spend on college work. The military may have some opportunity to get some education, but it's not in business to provide education. My advice is to get in, see how you like it. Maybe you'll make it a career... maybe not. But while you're in the service, devote your time to the service, and save your education for when you get out. If you try to mix them, you won't get the full benefit of either.

Yes, as a "non-rated" man, you'll have your share of not-so-glamorous jobs, like cleaning the ship. But, if you work hard at whatever your rating (specialty) is, you'll advance to E-4 within a year or so and your time will be spent in your rating rather than doing the menial stuff. The menial stuff has to be done and somebody has to do it... that falls to the non-rated personnel. That's incentive to advance as rapidly as possible.

People will tell you about the long hours aboard ship, the cramped quarters, lousy food... and a lot of other negatives. Yes, there are long hours aboard ship. If you can't read, can't work a computer, can't write, can't play an instrument, if you're some kind of vegetable, then I suppose shipboard life can drag a little sometimes. But those times are relatively few and far between. Yes, sometimes the quarters can be a little cramped. But if you're sleeping what difference does it make whether the guy above you is 2 feet away or 20 feet away? Yes, the food's not what mom cooked... and it's not McDonald's. But, by and large, it's nutritious, and while you might not like everything that's served, more than likely you'll like most of it. And, even if you don't, there will usually be something there you find palatable.

The ASVAB is not competitive. It's designed to find out where your interests and abilities lie, not to see how well you take tests. Doesn't make any difference what you think you want. The ASVAB is designed to find out the job for which you're the best fit. People who BS their way through to get a glamor job are just mucking up the works.

Both my children went into the navy right out of school. My son was in for eight years and is still in the reserves, but now is captain of his federal fire deptment. All schooling payed for through the navy. My daughter is still in going on 10 years now and loves it as a career. The navy will help you in whatever direction you want to go.If you graduate you don't have to test as high as some one that didn't. Good luck to you. And God Bless!

you should try essie or opi they're really good quality nail polishes are at most are about 8 dollars