thelau
thelau asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Does Ovechkin remind you of Maurice Richard?

Both has a love affair with scoring goals; they're both focused like a laser to do so; Richard had his creepy, psycho glare while Ovechkin's a bit of a psycho himself to put the puck behind the net; both seem to be soft-spoken but the language barrier was always in the way.

Anyone else see the connection?

• Favorite Answer

Maurice Richard was soft-spoken? Where were you during the 40s and 50s? Maurice was a very outspoken man, especially when it came to the game of hockey. He was one of the few players on the Canadiens in the 50s who was fluent in English (no language barrier for Maurice). His brief tenure as coach of the Nordiques in their early WHA days were extremely fiery as well. Listening to Canadiens games in the 40s and 50s was always a treat when Richard got a hold of the mic.

On the ice, there are indeed a lot of similarities. Both players have excellent wrist shots (both speed and accuracy). Both are deadly around the net. Both men are extremely focused. Ovechkin is a far flashier player and a better passer than Richard, but Richard was a far tougher player (it was a tougher game back then). Given the choice between the two players during regulation time/overtime I want Richard. However in a penalty shot/shootout situation - I want Ovechkin. Richard was actually quite unimaginative on breakaways (certainly not as imaginative as Geoffrion or Moore)

Ovechkin is this generation's Maurice Richard. He's also one of the most physical players in the game. True he probably only lands 70% of his checks, but it's the effort that counts.

Source(s): Ovechkin for Hart 2009 Red Wings fan from Pittsburgh

No He reminds me of Bobby Hull The Golden Jet well Call Alex Overchkin the Russian Jet He has the same style of Playing has Bobby Hull I know because I've Followed the Blackhawks and other NHL Teams since I was a Kid.

• no he reminds me of an unfrozen caveman that traded is club for a stick

naw, the rocket had guts, never wore a helmet.

Source(s): ghb

Yes, but not for me.