Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 1 decade ago

In what way's can i shop more like a chef when buying or stocking my own pantry?

thought it was a good question to ask..having a passion for cooking my self..

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Stock up on the staples and then buy your veggies, meat, and fruits organic and fresh. Most chefs will go to the meat market, then to an open air market to get their fruits and veggies.

Staple things to have on hand

Fresh spices and a peppermill

Base stocks like beef and chicken

tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, olives- black and green, diced mild green chilis, marinated artichoke hearts, beans, capers, stewed tomatoes, salsa, bbq sauce, ketchup, mayo, spicy mustard, whole grain mustard, olive oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil, flour, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda, baking powder, yeast, weistershire sauce, plum sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, cider vinegar, vinegar, breadcrumbs, cornflakes, dried pasta, rice, driedbeans and legumes, syrup, rolled oats, cornmeal, honey,

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

• mark
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Best advice I can offer is to buy what looks good and THEN figure out how you want to cook it. Rather than finding a recipe and going shopping for the ingredients.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When staples go on sale (chicken broth, tomato paste, etc...) stock up. Non perishables of course.

• buy fresh ingredients and try something different every once in a while.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.