Can I still get into a top law school with my GPA?

I go to Vanderbilt University (a top 20 university) and I will be applying to law school next fall (it will be my senior year). I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.027 and I wanted to know, given my GPA, if I would be able to get into a law school that is ranked within the top 15? The reason my GPA is so low is because I had an extremely bad semester where I was clinically depressed. Thus, being depressed led to me not doing so well in two of my classes (Stats- D+ and American Political Thought- C+) That being said, I have still been involved in many different things on and off my campus including starting a class that is offered to students in the fall and taking time to help a distinguished tenured professor write a book. I have also interned for a member of congress as well as a state senator. I have even taken time to get involved with the case of a man in TN wrongly convicted of a crime and who sits on death row (I literally go to the prison to visit him). Basically I have the right resume but I am extremely worried that my GPA will be a detriment to me and restrict me from applying to law schools such as Harvard, UVA, Georgetown, U Chicago or Duke. I honestly do not know what to do, any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

It is very unlikely that you will be accepted into those law schools. That being said I think you might want to consider a different school of law. You might want to ask yourself, "What makes a school so prestigious is it the faculty or is it the students?" The faculty can only inform students and have them do research on topics, but the student has to apply themselves in order to do well and graduate. If all of the students got Fs then how would people see that school? My guess is that it would be a lot lower on the list.

If you look at Cleveland Marshall College of Law you will find that is has the 15th largest law library in the United States. It has also produced many highly esteemed judges, lawyers, and philanthropists. This goes the same for many universities that never make the "list" a school is only as good as its students.

Here is a list of the noted alumni from Cleveland Marshall College of Law which includes Tim Russert.

Richard J. Ambrose, graduated in 1987; Cuyahoga County Common Pleas judge, former Cleveland Browns football player.

Edward J. Blythin, graduated (Cleveland Law School); mayor of Cleveland, previously its law director, candidate for U.S. Senate.

Anthony O. Calabrese Jr., graduated in 1961; Ohio Court of Appeals judge and Cuyahoga County Common Pleas judge.

Anthony J. Celebrezze, Jr., graduated in 1974; Ohio state senator, Ohio secretary of state and Ohio attorney general; candidate for Ohio governor.

Frank D. Celebrezze Jr., graduated in 1983; Ohio Court of Appeals judge and Cuyahoga County Common Pleas judge.

Genevieve R. Cline, graduated in 1921 (Cleveland Law School); first woman to serve as a United States federal judge.

Mary DeGenaro, graduated in 1986; Ohio Court of Appeals judge.

Dennis E. Eckart, Democratic Congressman.

Mary Grossman graduated (Cleveland Law School); one of first women ABA members, Ohio's first female Municipal Court judge (Cleveland, 1923).[1]

Frank G. Jackson, Mayor of Cleveland, formerly City Council president in Cleveland.

Frank J. Lausche, graduated (John Marshall Law School); U.S. Senator, Ohio governor, Mayor of Cleveland.

John M. Manos, U.S. District Court senior judge.

Robert M. Murray graduated (Cleveland Law School); attorney, banker, businessman and Democratic Congressman.

Donald C. Nugent, U.S. District Court district judge.

Maureen O'Connor, graduated in 1980; Ohio Supreme Court Justice.

Terrence O'Donnell, graduated in 1971; Ohio Supreme Court Justice.

Tim Russert, graduated in 1976; journalist, writer and longtime television broadcaster.

Carl B. Stokes, first African American mayor of a major U.S. city (Cleveland)

Louis Stokes, graduated in 1953; 15-term Democratic Congressman.

Francis E. Sweeney Sr., graduated 1963; Ohio Supreme Court Justice.

Cheryl L. Waite, graduated in 1985; Ohio Court of Appeals judge.

Lesley B. Wells, U.S. District Court senior judge.

Uncas A. Whitaker, graduated (Cleveland Law School), engineer, lawyer, entrepreneur and philanthropist.

Bert Wolstein, graduated in 1953; real estate developer, owner of indoor soccer franchise and philanthropist.

• neniaf

It is highly unlikely that you would get into a top 15 school with that GPA, regardless of your other activities. Your LSAT scores will also make a major difference. However, the top law schools are like the top undergrad schools - they don't have to tolerate any flaws because they have so many applicants with near-perfect records. The average GPA of my law school, which was by no means top 15, was close to a 3.7. You may still get into an ABA-accredited school, but I would doubt that any law school will basically take you on your activities - it would be like taking a student into an undergrad program based on their high school extracurriculars. What to do is to see what your LSAT schools look like. If they are 175 or above, then you can think about making a case for yourself with some better schools, keeping a couple of back-ups. If they are below 170, you need to be more realistic about your possibilities.

• John

No, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be able to get into Harvard / Georgetown law with a 3.02.

You have a slim chance at UVA / Chicago / Duke.

Best of luck =]

Source(s): Used to Do Admissions for Stanford, Brown, Tufts

I have to agree with everyone else. I may recommend Pepperdine University which is in Malibu, California. You need to be realistic, and I think Pepperdine may be a good choice. I would check out UGA, UF, but they all may be a reach. Good Luck!