Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Can vegans wear wool?

I'm a vegetarian who is looking to make the transition to become a vegan but am not sure whether I can wear wool or not. I live in Australia and have seen sheep being shaved before and it never seemed cruel to me, the sheep NEED to be shaved or they will overheat in the summer and get very sick. They obviously shearers cared about their sheep and weren't cruel. In the winter I get very cold because I have almost no body fat and very low blood pressure and wool keeps me the warmest. So would I still be able to wear wool if I was a vegan if I don't find this practice un-ethical?

• exsft
    Favorite Answer

Yes they can wear wool but as vegans they choose not to. "Can" and "won't" are two different things. Veganism is a lifestyle choice. So is wearing wool. Even many omnis won't were wool.

Well, a lot of wool is from the Australian wool trade, which is cruel and rather bloody. Vegans just don't use anything that came from an animal, even if the animal was not exploited. I mean, would we like it if our hairdressers made cardigans out of our hair and sold them? I am vegetarian, but wear the occasional wool item, providing the wool is not from Australia. I can see where you're coming from, since it doesn't really hurt the sheep.

Most vegans do not wear wool, but it's ultimately up to the individual what they want to do. This q. is asked from time to time here. You might check the other answers

or what the vegan society UK says http://www.vegansociety.com/images/wool.pdf

I don't use it.

my previous answer:

Most vegans do not use wool. Many people assume that the animals aren't killed, which may be true at the time of shearing, but the industry does involve killing the animals-- when they are culled for having less desirable wool, when their production declines, and some are mutilated in a process called mulesing to prevent flystrike. The males are also castrated with a knife. However, regardless of those things, a vegan likely would not believe in exploiting the animal for wool production anyway.

Vegans *can* wear wool - there's no law that says they can't - but generally choose not to. If you're uncomfortable with the ethics of calling yourself vegan but wearing an animal product, nothing says you can't remain a vegetarian but just not *eat* any animal products or wear animal products other than wool.

I don't know of too many sheep shearers that do so out of cruelty...in many climates, sheep do need to be sheared in the summer. There are other aspects of the industry that are pretty cruel, but shearing, by itself, isn't usually one of them. However, the ethics of it and what you choose to formally call yourself are pretty much up to you.

For me, if the sheep are allowed to live out their life, not abused, and are never sent to slaughter, sure, why not.

In Australia, sheep have been imported to that country. They will not be too cold without their hair, so I don't see a problem with it.

But, a lot of wool apparently comes from the sheep slaughter houses -- where sheep are killed for meat but their hair is taken first.

• george

most vegans don't. of course, its really up to you. just keep in mind that the sheep you are seeing sheared arent the sheep that are used for the clothing industry. im assuming the ones used for the clothing industry are treated very cruelly and are kept in huge unhealthy factories there whole lives, where they will die sick and young just so they can help keep people warm. sorry for putting that image in your mind but you needed to know that.

i guess if you wanted to you could stop eating eggs and dairy and stuff but still wear wool, you just wouldn't be considered a vegan.

• Raquel

No, vegans don't wear wool. We abstain from everything derived from an animal, anything that has been tested on animals and anything that has anything to do with an animal.

You are considering being that arrogant and selfish wearing an animals fur just for your body temperature? Wake up. Don't tell us what sheep NEED. You obviously haven't checked out one of the main animal rights organisations in Australia... I suggest you educate yourself before you go raving on about something you know nothing about... www.animalsaustralia.org.au.

I live in Australia too. Wear the wool if you like - just don't call yourself a vegan... because you wouldn't be. That's like a vegetarian who eats meat. There is no such thing.

EDIT: Oh and Trenardy is right. You won't need warm clothes in Darwin...

No. By definition, animals need to be respected not exploited. No leather, no silk, no fur, and oops -- no wool.

Your argument could be said of cow's, sheep's, and goat's milk. I am sure that you would agree that in sure that in the natural world -- not the factory farm -- milking doesn't seem to be cruel either. The animals NEED to be milked or they will be in pain and get very sick.

But -- for the Vegan, the philosophy dictates action across the board.

So you can do as you like. Eat as you choose, what you choose, and when you choose -- but you cannot call yourself vegan if you are wearing wool.

No. The point of veganism is to not use any products that contribute to animal suffering and exploitation. I understand many people eat a vegan *diet* for various reasons (health, taste, allergies, etc), a lot of vegans think they should be called strict vegetarians. But do what it feels right for you and not just to fit in a label.

Can vegans wear wool?

Well they can, but most would choose not to.

I often wonder if trolls can wear wool too?!

Buy some thermal underwear love.

Or move to Darwin, as you won't need warm clothes up there.

.