Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

I am extremely lost in my AP Biology class. Any help would be appreciated.?

Would genetic engineering be possible if we did not know a great deal about the genetics of bacteria? Explain.

What are some of the environmental concerns regarding transgenic organisms? What kinds of information does society need to determine if these concerns are valid?

How is protemics related to functional genomics?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First question:

- Many forms of genetic engineering involve taking specific genes from bacteria and inserting them into the genomes of other organisms. Scientists also sometimes genetically engineer bacteria to do things such as clean up pollution. Knowing the method by which bacteria reproduce and their high rate of mutation explain how bacteria can develop such a wide variety traits so quickly.

Second Question:

- It is unclear how transgenic organisms will interact with native ones in the environment. In some cases the introduction of a transgenic species has resulted in the extinction of a native one. It is incredibly difficult to ascertain the impact of a transgenic species in an ecosystem because the existing species interactions are incredibly complex.

- I'm not sure if this is valid or not but i'm fairly sure they are unclear about the effects of transgenic crops on the people that eat them. It would take many years of observation to discern the impact on human health.

Third Question:

- (I assume you meant proteomics) Proteomics is the study of proteins, and functional genomics is the study of interaction between molecules involved with the genome. Proteins are integral parts of all genetic processes, they help in transcription, and translation, and they have different interactions with each other.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

> Would genetic engineering be possible if we did not know a great deal about the genetics of bacteria?

Yes. It would be a lot more hit-or-miss, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith's_experiment

You'd take an organism that had a desirable trait, heat-kill it, puree it in a blender, and add the mix to your target bacteria (or zygotes), hoping that some of them would pick up the trait.

No knowledge of genetics required (Griffith didn't even know that DNA was the transforming principle).

> What are some of the environmental concerns regarding transgenic organisms?

Mostly that the target animals or plants will "escape" into the wild. This is of especial concern for "pharm-farm" plants, gen-engineered plants which make drugs. We wouldn't want these accidentally getting into the food supply!

> How is proteomics related to functional genomics?

Proteins are produced by gene expression. *shrug*

• 4 years ago

i took AP bio this year as a sophmore it develop into an ok type. the attempt develop into annoying. biology is so huge that they could ask u questions ur instructor has on no account long gone over till now. i think of anatomy and physique shape will help u somewhat b/c AP bio focuses plenty on vegetation and genetics. yet physique shape and anatomy is on the attempt. truthfully get the Barron's learn instruction manual or some thing equivelent to it. it is going to help plenty. pay interest in college and go over ur notes, so u do no longer forget issues sturdy success! :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.