Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Calling out Christians who think America was based on christian ideals?

Please, I always hear you people say America is a "Christian nation" and "America was based on Christian ideals" and blah blah blah. And yet i cant think of anything that backs up those claims other than the pilgrams being Puritans and America having a majority christian people (and just because we have a majority christian doesnt make us a christian nation. We have a majority of white people and that doesnt make us a white nation). I mean look at the bill of rights, the beliefs america is founded on: the first amendment gives freedom of religion. Christians want everyone to be christian (hence the missionaries) so the first ammendment isnt based off christianity. The second amendment to bear arms is definitely not christian-based. Did jesus ever take up a sword to defend against the romans? Ive looked through all the constitution and yet i dont see ANY that are christian based. In fact, the first amendment strongly opposes the government from preferring one religion over another or making laws based on religion. So, please, tell me where i am wrong here.

This is not meant for all christians, only the ignorant ones that persist to want the 10 commandments in government buildings and gay marriages to be illegal because god doesnt agree with it.

Favorite Answer

I'm not big on trying to get anyone to think anything. It's just that I have a number of antique history books. Those are the things that I tend to go by, since they were written during the periods in question. I understand the resistance against heavy handed Christianity and the ugliness in the lack of respect for free will that some Christians have. But there's not a pre-1890 history book that I have that doesn't openly refer to the Bible and Christianity. There are also quotes like:

John Adams and John Hancock:

"We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!"

James Madison

“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”

George Washington

“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.” [speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]

Benjamin Franklin

“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787

The Mayflower Compact (authored by William Bradford) 1620

“Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together…”

Or the fact that the Liberty Bell is inscribed with a Bible verse, the day it was rung many of the politicians mention God or Christianity in their speech, or that the first Bible printed in our young nation was ordered and funded by Congress? The list could go on.

Just food for thought.

America was based of the Christian tradition, not actual Christianity.

Majority of them were deists.

But Christianity does want freedom of religion. True Christians should be against illegalizing any religion, cause they hold from history what has happened when they made Christianity the only legal religion ( it causes pagan practices to come into to the religion and change the religion, for example, the catholic church vs the early Christians. )(Early Christianity was very simple, the gold and many chants we have today come from pagan traditions)

Many of the founding fathers were atheists, agnostics, or deists (who believe in some sort of God but do not follow a specific religion). Freedom of and from religion was one of the main reasons why they formed the country in the first place.

"In God We Trust" and "Under God" were not added to money and the pledge of allegiance until the 1930s-50s.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

John Adams

[1735-1826] 2d President of the United States

“Today, the religion clauses of the First Amendment do not need to be fixed; they need to be followed.” — Walter Mondale 1984

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone upon man."

-Thomas Jefferson

"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."

-Benjamin Franklin

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries." - James Madison

Source(s): American Deist/Pantheist

I've presented a challenge here several times to those claiming that America is a Christian nation to tell me exactly what in the founding documents was taken from Christianity only. No one has been able to answer me yet.

The first European settlers weren't the pilgrims, they were the Spanish fortune hunters, then the Virginia settlers who started a colony as an economic venture. So if you're going by settlers, it would be more correct to say that the US was founded on the profit motive.

The majority rules and the Bill of Rights protects the individual. The majority are Christians and have been since the founding of our great Christian Nation.

• Psa 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Deu 4:4 But ye that did cleave unto the LORD your God are alive every one of you this day.

Deu 4:5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.

Deu 4:6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Deu 4:7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

Deu 4:8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

Deu 4:9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;

The devil never left the garden!