How can I allow remote access to my computer with just the IP address?

My dad moved overseas and wants to get some of the files from our home computer. Can't I allow him access by just opening some special network and giving him the IP?

Favorite Answer

It depends upon the operating system that he has, but, yes you can vnc, rdp or telnet to his ip address.

I use a program called crossloop to take control (with permission) of remote computers. Both parties have to download the program. The one sharing the computer selects 'share' and a number is displayed. This number is required by the computer taking control. The number changes each time the program is used.

If you use this program, you don't need to register.

Source(s): I work in computer support and this is just one of the remote control tools that I can use.

Try, http://www.radmin.com/ I like, I use more than three years. Fast, and most importantly safe program for remote control of computers. Advantages, high speed, reliable security system.

the reason you won't be able to get on your pc exterior your individual community is that your so reported as static ip is a community static ip it fairly is produced by the router and could in straightforward terms be seen by computers on your lan to get right of entry to your pc from the internet you prefer the ip handle of your router whether this many times isn't static except you have a employer account or an exceedingly severe end abode account. whether there are unfastened amenities provided by agencies which includes dynamic dns which will help you create a static handle on your dynamic ip.

Logmein.com

download it on your computer and have him download on his

one of you should use the pro trial so that you can do file transfers

once you download it on yours he does not have to reinstall the whole program have him sign in through your account and add his computer

Depends. Do you have a router or modem? Is it set for remote access? Come on, more details.