Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

A question for atheists who have read the Bible?

Christians have their beliefs about the whole "immaculate conception" thing. However, they look at it as a matter of faith. We on the other hand generally consider The Bible to be very bad literature at best...

Jehovah is a pretty popular guy in the O.T. He gets out, talks to people, works the crowds and basically is an active kinds "god". HOWEVER, after Christ is born, no one hears from him ever again directly. They can only talk to him by proxy through Jesus.

Now... all of the "gods" around the time Jesus was born were pretty proud of their sexual relations with humans. The Greek, Roman, Babylonian, and Persian "gods" all conceived children with humans, and their sexual prowess was well known among their followers.

Jehovah on the other hand, knocks up some Jewish chick, then goes into early retirement letting his son take control of the family business. Jehovah is basically written out of the story.

Do you think that after failing to even put a dent in Mary's maidenhead, Jesus inherits the family business because Jehovah was too embarrassed about having under-developed boy parts to directly continue his involvement in human affairs? Is it possible that after all of Jehovah's bullying the other "gods", the other "gods" made fun of him about his microscopic winky until he just decided to stay home, wait for the end of time, and not play with them anymore?

What are your thoughts or theories on why Jehovah is written out of the story at the end of the O.T?

-SD-

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's friggin' hilarious!!!

Actually, if you go to the Jewish TANAKH (the Old Test.), you'll see that the books are in a slightly different order...at least the latter parts...the last "appearance" God makes is in the Book of Job...at the end of the Book of Job, when Job questions God as to why He allowed all these terrible things to happen to Job, God doesn't really answer Job - He just gets p!$$ed off and spouts off about how powerful He is...sort of like a person that - when caught doing something wrong - starts yelling as a defense mechanism...deflecting blame...after the Book of Job though, God is no longer on the stage....God may have silenced Job with His tantrum, but Job also in a way silenced God, too....

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

While it is an interesting assessment, It really doesn't describe the Bible. In the OT (except for Adam and Eve), God would generally make cameo appearances after thousands of years. So after the garden thing, he was conspicuously absent until the flood and then waited quite some time after that to choose his chosen people. Then except for a few instances, he primarily used his prophets to get his messages across. Supposedly his priests were to do this as well, but it seems that most important communication came from prophets.

All in all, God rates as a really hands off God compared to the more social ones of surrounding cultures.

I'd say that Jesus was an attempt at removing the need for a human priesthood as they had not really added any value and were fairly expensive to support.

• Yogini
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

From a Catholic theological perspective it is because God became man when Jesus was born. The greatest sacrifice being that Jesus being part of the Trinity and being one of the 3 persons in one God suffered and died as a human. I know I didn't explain it as well as the theologians who taught me but it's the best I can do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I took Bible classes for years. Here's my take on it:

God sent the long-promised messiah to his chosen people but they didn't buy it.

Along came Paul and took it to the gentiles, to whom God had promised nothing.

Then the Bible comes to an end, and God has no more to say.

To this day church folks keep looking in the Bible, which was God talking way back then; and the funny thing is, they never question how come God is now silent.

God has no more to say to the human race, cause of that whole embarrassing situation, the way his messiah was received.

Likely God will never have anything more to say.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't forget that the stories in the bible were written over a long span of time by many different writers with different agendas serving different audiences. so in essence, cultural evolution is loosely cataloged and so, as the norms of society changed, so too the stories. as people became less murderous and aggressive, god became less murderous and aggressive. it's just that simple.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well Trinity believers will claim that Jehovah wasn't written out of the OT. They will claim that Jesus is Jehovah in human form.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not sure about that one.

The Sinai bible mentions his name many times (and the name of his wife by the way) but in later re-writes many things were omitted/changed.

I guess this is the bible's way of evolving.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First, Immaculate Conception is not the same as the Virgin Birth, so I stopped reading at that point.

• 1 decade ago

Great theory. At least it's a new one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My thoughts? You're a classic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.