Landlord Harassment? Do I have the right to be informed if landlord does contruction on my property?

Am I supposed to be informed if a landlord has someone doing work on a part of property that is connected to mine but not in the rental agreement? What qualifies as harassment?

My landlord keeps doing work on a part of property that is connected to mine but not part of the rental agreement. I live in a 1-bedroom and it is connected to a garage and a laundry room where the heater and water tank are located. He came out last saturday and told me they would be working but not too late. The next morning I got woken up at 8am with them pounding on the walls and drilling. He had never mentioned that they would be doing work that day. It happened to be my birthday and I had to study for finals, which I had notified him about the day before.

The following week I had to wake up early twice for one of his handymen to come inside and work on the sink. He had to take out part of the wall and replaced it but didn't finish it. They left a bunch of trash in my yard and some palm trees they cut down.

So this morning I am woken up again at 8am with them pounding on walls in the laundry room. I don't know what they are doing but all I see that looks different back there is a ventilation pipe coming from the water heater. I went out and asked one of the guys if they were going to be working again tomorrow morning and he said he didn't know and that he was just there to paint, however nothing looks painted after today.

Favorite Answer

"does contruction on my property" No, he would not have the right to do anything on your property, if you own it he can not build.

But it sounds like you are talking about his property, not yours, you are a renter.

As long as he is working during legal hours (he is) there is nothing you can do. This certainly is not harassment. He does not need to inform you of when he will do anything, it is his place.

Life is not always fair, but life goes on anyway.

Most city codes state that maintenance can be done between 8AM - sun down without any noise limitations.

Next time make sure that you look for a unit that is not connected to the laundry room or by a swimming pool. When you are a sleep noise sound louder than when you are fully awake.

Maybe its time for you to start looking for another place to live, that you think that it would make you feel more comfortable.

Your owner is in charge and he can decide when he wants to have the work done. If you were the owner of the building you could request for them to come after 11:00 a.m., and that would give you time to get up and dressed.

Source(s): Former Apartment Manger
  • Ranger

If it is not part of the area rented by you, you have no control over it. The land lord can do what he wants when he wants within the law or ordinances in your area.

Harassment requires being able to show the Land Lord intent was to annoy you. If he is remodeling, it may be annoying, but his intent is probably to make improvements to the neighboring apt.

No-he does not have to tell you when working on property you are not renting. They are not breaking any laws by working at 8 am either.

I know it is an inconvenience, but he is not doing anything wrong.

Source(s): I'm a property manager.

Buy your own house and you won't have a landlord you will have an annoying neighbor. Get used to it the world is not made to be at your convienece.

He told you he would be working, he is working within pretty much every noise ordinance nationwide on his own property.

it isn't your home, it is your landlords. You should actually be please you have a landlord who cares enough to maintain the place.

If you have a landlord its his property, not yours, and I'm sorry to tell you he can do anything he wanted

Yes you do, but check your lease, because they might have had stuck something in their saying that they don't have to tell you if they are remodeling your home.