Book "Fitted Knits" working on textured tunic, need help with understanding the directions on the sleeves?

Hi, I am working on the Textured Tunic w/ Side Buttons from the book "Fitted Knits" by Stefanie Japel.

I am working on the sleeves right now..

Sleeves

Transfer 36 held sts of one sleeve to needle.do not join. Knit 1 RS row.

Work 12 rows in Box Stitch, Dec 1 st at beg of each row -- 24 sts.

work even in box stitch for 14 more rows, ending with WS row.

ok so heres my problem..

I trasfered the sts, knitted 1 RS row.

when i start to work the box stitch, dec 1 st at beg of each row...

i end up with odd numbered sts.

Is it supposed to be like that?

cuz box stitch is k2, p2 for 2 rounds, then p2,k2 for 2 rounds..

so how can i work the box stitch when there are odd numbers??

maybe i am not decreasing the right way...

can someone please explain all of this to me.

thanks!!

How do i dec 1 st at the beg of each row??

• Pam D
    Favorite Answer

You can decrease in any number of ways, either knit (or purl) two stitches together is probably the simplest for you, particularly on the first couple of rows. Just put the right hand needle through two stitches, then wrap the yarn around as though you were only doing one stitch.

To keep the pattern on the first row and assuming the first 2 stitches were meant to be knit stitches, if you knit 2 stitches together, you have used the first 2 stitches so you would then continue on and p2, k2 to the end. On the second row, you would purl 2 together and then k2, p2 to the end.

On the 3rd row you will see there is only one stitch in the 'box' shape. As the next stitch will be a purl, just purl 2 together, p1, then k2, p2 to the end.

For the 4th row, again there is only 1 stitch in the 'box' so knit 2 together then k1, p2,k2 to the end.

I hope this makes sense to you. Your boxes should continue along in the same method to what you have already done up to this part and match up with the rest of your pattern.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Source(s): knitting for over 40 years www.bestlearntoknit.com

You work two stitches together to decrease at the start and end of each row, in the stitch appropriate (knit or purl) for what the stitch after it will be. When you are at a point where you box stitch pattern has only one stitch in it after you've knit or purled 2 together, you'll work only the stitch remaining in that box, that's what working in pattern means. This is a fairly simple pattern to learn to decrease in pattern with, too. There are lace patterns out there that require you to do this that are much more difficult to follow, but the same rule applies, when you don't have a complete pattern repeat, you work the stitches you have in pattern as far as possible.

Source(s): I have been knitting for 54 years and crocheting for 37.

no you decrease one stitch at the beginning of each row. for 24 rows that should be 24 stitches. you would not be in odd numbers. you decrease one stitch then k2 p2 etc. at beginning of next row same thing dec 1 stitch and do k2 p2 etc. got it?