Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 decade ago

What does a Title 1 paraprofessional do in a classroom?

I understand its a goverment funded program to help students read.

I am thinking of applying to be a title 1 paraprofessional at my local school district. Any ideas what my job title would be?

How would I help a child read. If I am not the instructor.

• Serena
    Favorite Answer

It really depends. Our Title 1 paraprofessionals in our school do a variety of job. Some work with our English Language Learners, some work in the Special Ed department, and some work in the literacy department. There is curriculum that you use to help kiddos to read. The way we teach reading now is differentiated learning (meaning it's based on what the kids know.) You group the kids by their ability and have them in small groups that you read to. Have reading instruction taught this way is much more effective than whole group instruction where kids are at all different levels. When you interview, it's best to ask what your specific jobs would be. Also I would ask what kind of reading programs the school uses (read well, benchmarks, etc) so that you can study up on it. If you aren't teaching reading groups, you will probably be asked to pull struggling students and work with them on the areas that they need help in. I think that the paraprofessionals are really what help our students succeed. Without them, we wouldn't be able to give our kiddos the individual attention they need to succeed.

Source(s): Kindergarten teacher in Washington State. Used to be a paraprofessional.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): title 1 paraprofessional classroom: https://biturl.im/S9mwC

I have a chance to Sub for a Title 1 pare at my school a multi of jobs wondering what this would be

• Beckee

Could be Educational Assistant (EA), Literacy Coach, any number of titles. They vary quite a bit from school district to school district.