Traveling to Europe...?

This summer I am going to Europe with some of my college roommates. We want to start in Italy, but have minimal knowledge of the continent. My question is: What is the cheapest way to get there (i.e. fly to dublin or spain ect. then train it to italy or possibly fly via ryan air or aer lingus?) ?

Any other tips are very welcome. Thanks!

(P.s. we will be there for the entire summer traveling around all of europe)

Favorite Answer

Oh I love Italy! Been there a ton. On the question of the cheapest way to get there I'm not totally sure - - but try the train. Make sure you make it Tuscany....it's just gorgeous and Venice, there is nothing like Venice. Have fun! Europe is amazing!

• Adam J

Check statravel.com (which offers cheap tickets to students and young people) and Yahoo travel or some similar site to get an idea for prices on airline tickets. Also check the websites of various airlines as one of them is likely to be doing a cheap flight to Europe deal at some point over the next few months. You might have the easiest time flying into a major hub like Heathrow in London or Charles de Gaulle in Paris which are served by lots of airlines, but shop around. As far as getting around the continent, Ryanair and Easyjet (ryanair's main low cost competitor) do have cheap fare prices, but they make money by charging you extra fees (including hefty ones for baggage) so they aren't always the cheapest way to get around. They also tend to locate in out of the way airports, which take time and money to travel to and from, so other airlines, trains and buses are worth considering. I travelled around on a Eurrail pass which can save you money (though you have to use it a lot to make it cost effective).

Some general observations:

Generally in Europe north is more expensive than south; Spain, Italy and especially Greece aren't terribly expensive, while Paris, London, Scandanavia and Switzerland can burn a large hole in your budget quickly.

If you aren't already familiar with it, hostelworld.com and hostelbookers.com are great sites for booking youth hostels pretty much anywhere. They also include user generated ratings that are a pretty sure guide of decent places to stay. Of course hotels make more sense when you're splitting them between multiple people.

You can get by with English just about anywhere (I haven't tested this theory in eastern europe, but it definitely holds in the west.)

You might want to start in London and then work your way towards Italy; London is fascinating and you can catch a train directly from there Paris, and go from Paris to the cote d'azur (the nicest youth hostel I've ever stayed at was a place called the Villa St Euxberry in Nice) and then go to Venice (you'll pass through Milan though there isn't all that much to do there) and then proceed down to Florence, Rome and Naples. From there you can take a Ferry to Greece, head to Sicily, head up to Switzerland (head to Interlaken and Grindelwald and Gimmelwald) or whatever. I'm also very fond of Barcelona, Berlin is fun, and you have to do Amsterdam.

Hope that helps.

This past summer I went to England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. I had the time of my life there. I cant help you much with the traveling part since i went with a group but I can say that you need to hit up Switzerland! If you do go try white water rafting in Scoul. And of course you have to see Amsterdam in Holland. Germany was awsome but I quickly learned that all castles look the same no matter what there history is. I hope you have a good time!

Get the Eurail Pass. You need to order it online at least a month before your trip. That's how you get around between cities in Europe. I'd fly directly to Italy instead of somewhere else and then taking a train there.

Source(s): I went backpacking around Europe last summer.

been there done that.

while ryan air is good a cheap, I recommend geting the 30-60-or 90 day rail pass. fly into the cheapest city you can find - then take the train whereever you want, - amsterdam, barcelona , paris, munich - austria & switzerland !

the rail pass does not include Budapest & Prauge - but pay the extra $ for the train ticket & GO !