Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

If my great grandfather died in WWII, can we somehow get his medals? (Stalingrad)?

My great grandfather fought in Stalingrad, the biggest battle in Europe. He died there with thousands of other Russians, bodies weren't found or unidentified so when I asked my mom if there was any way to get his medals she said no. There was too many deaths to know who was who. Is this true? Also, my other grandfather who fought in WWII against Japan and got 5 ribbon medals (?) I know one is the victory ribbon and Asiatic Pacific Campaign. But only the little ribbons, did he never get his other medals or is it likely that he just lost it (Doubt it, he was a very organized guy). If he never got it is there way to get it back?

(He got 2 Asiatic and American Campaign Medal Ribbons and a victory ribbon, no medals.

This is exactly what he got:

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can probably get the medals for your grandfather who fought against Japan from your congressman. There are many vets who get their medals years later and its usually a congressman who gets them for him. Be prepared to show some documentation of his service.

    My guess is that in addition to the three medal listed above he also get the Good Conduct Medal and the Occupation Medal but that's just an educated guess.

    If you don't want to go through the hassle of getting them through your congressman you can by them through one of several on line retailers. Here are two I recommend -

    BTW - US Medals will try to see you unofficial "commemorative" medals. These are unofficial and they are sold by them just to make more money. Most of them commemorate things for which there are already official medals for like the Pacific Campaign and World War Two Victory.

    BTW - Technically, a medal is the the ribbon with the metal part (called the planchet) suspended from it. A ribbon by itself is called a ribbon and, technically, it represents the medal but is not the medal itself.

    As to your Russian grandfather I suggest you contact the Russian embassy in Washington. The Soviets and, now, the Russians, have many medals to honor their veterans. (Its a lot cheaper than giving them money.) The embassy might be able to get them for you or, at least, tell you which medals he was entitled to.

    Good Luck

  • 1 decade ago

    Call a local recruiter in your area and ask them, they would be able to tell you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.