Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 1 decade ago

What does UK's motto 'dieu et mon droit' mean in politics etc.?

• Mark G
    Best Answer

'God and my Right' refers to the British monarch's right to rule through the Divine Influence of God. It brooks no opposition to what is considered the rightful and Sovereign rule of the United Kingdom.

What this means in practise is that we can damn the government but love the monarch. It's an important distinction which helped towards promulgation of free speech and free criticism of government in the early days of democracy.

Hi there.

It translates as "God and my right hand", it specifies the means by which we will hold our power - by the will of God and the strength of our right hand (i.e. holding and using a sword).

It dates from feudal times when you could only rule what you could defend. It doesn't really apply to modern politics which is non-religious, but the bit about defending yourself does still apply. Sadly.

Cheers, Steve.

• Disco Rob3 years agoReport

No mention of a hand.
      If you are going to 'assume' that the word droit refers to a right hand, then you could equally assume it refers to a right foot.
      Or ear.
      Or testicle...
      The context in this case means 'the' right, not 'a' right.

God at my right I think.

It guess it means "wherever I go, whatever I do - I have God (or righteousness) at my side" Basically - doing the right thing.

• Leo

Never trust a politician

God and My Right - it meant the things that we were prepared to fight for.

basically means you go ahead mate i!ll follow you,you pratt

God is my help.