what is the best performing/powerful cordless drill?

general contractor looking to replace four drills

Favorite Answer

I have a 1/2" Hilti for about 2 years, yes it is probably the most expensive, but when working with other cordless drill owners absolutely everyone else admires the feel, lightness, power, and size of the drill. It is my favorite general all around drill. It has a longer running time and shorter charging time 15 min. than any drill I have owned. They have put money into the charger which has a longer charging time feature to "condition" the batteries. However for longer wood screws the newer impact drivers will push them in at odd angles. And of course, I use hammer drills for concrete work.

I generally subscribe to the philosophy that for professional work you should get the best (usually the most expensive) tools you can afford. My previoius main drill was a 3/8" panasonic with currently tired batteries. The hilti has the same feel if not a little more commercial. I expect it to last for years.

I also have a millwalke cordless that does not get much use. I also maintain a collection of corded drills. These can be inexpensive, powerful and lighter than the cordless counterparts. With attention they will last decades.

Additionally, you might consider getting the battery packs refurbished (new batteries inside the packs) if the drills are still good or you want backups.

Source(s): Own one.
  • wazat

I use a Dewalt , which is actually Black and Decker.

Makita , although a fine drill , seems to go through batteries fast . the more you use it the worse the battery gets.

This may have changed cause I've had this drill for 9 years.

I've been using Bosch for some years now, before that I had a Dewalt. These drills are comparable as well as others mentioned. Figure out what you are going to use it for and then buy the voltage size that fits your needs.

Check article "Find the best value in cordless drills" from ConsumerReports http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2008/12/top-...

I almost agree with comparison from ConsumerReports.

In my opinion Makita is the best. And I suggest this drill http://www.world-tools.com/makita-bdf452hw-18-volt...

For my money Its Makita..I use it abuse it Drop it off a couple of roofs and it still keeps going..Even had the batteries rebuilt so I didn't have to buy a new one..But I suppose in the end If you ask 20 people the same question You're probably going to get at least a dozen different answers.

I like the Ryobis, because you can leave them laying around a jobsite and nobody steals them. And if they do steal one, it's cheap to replace. All in all, it's really a pretty good drill.

the best ones can be found are the ones you can only buy from granger, 18volt here is the link... be ready to spend some money, Milwaukee seems to be the best. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex....

Source(s): me
  • tommy

Millwaukee 18volt.Litium ion batterys. I use the compact version and love it. I Converted from dewalt.

Dewalt 36v

For my money,if I could afford it,or could stop s***heads from stealing it,I'd buy the panasonic 18v lithium.Robust,light,powerful and well balanced,with a 35 min charge time,and the clincher,Panasonic "make" the battery's themselves,not buy them in from who knows where..