raz asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

9 Supreme Court Justices in Roe v Wade?

i don't want to know how it can be overturned, when it might be overturned, who might overturn it, or anything like that

all i want to know is,

1. Who the 9 supreme court justices in that case were

and 2. how each one voted

thank you

and 10 points goes to whoever gives me that information in the 9 lines and fewest words :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Terry's answer is obviously correct.

I also like to compare how those 9 Justices voted not only in Roe v. Wade, but also in the major death penalty case the previous year: Furman v. Georgia. Many people compare the issue of the death penalty to the issue of abortion and they end up implying that people should be either consistently "pro-life" or consistently "pro-death." But the 9 Justices were all over the place.

Four of the Justices supported abortion rights in Roe v. Wade and opposed the death penalty in Furman v. Georgia: Justices William O. Douglas, William J. Brennan, Potter Stewart, and Thurgood Marshall.

Three of the Justices supported abortion rights in Roe v. Wade and supported the death penalty in Furman v. Georgia: Chief Justice Warren Burger, and Justices Harry Blackmun and Lewis Powell.

One Justice opposed abortion rights in Roe v. Wade and supported the death penalty in Furman v. Georgia: Justice William Rehnquist.

One Justice opposed abortion rights in Roe v. Wade and opposed the death penalty in Furman v. Georgia: Justice Byron White.

Potter Stewart and Byron White, who both opposed the death penalty in Furman v. Georgia, later changed that position slightly and supported the death penalty four years later, in the 1976 case of Gregg v. Georgia.

Just F.Y.I.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?n...

"BLACKMUN, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which BURGER, C. J., and DOUGLAS, BRENNAN, STEWART, MARSHALL, and POWELL, JJ., joined. BURGER, C. J., DOUGLAS, J., and STEWART, J., filed concurring opinions.

WHITE, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which REHNQUIST, J., joined. REHNQUIST, J., filed a dissenting opinion. "

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.