Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 1 decade ago

Behind the Scenes Jobs on TV Shows?

I'm 14 and considering behind the scenes work in TV as a job. Note that this isn't urgent, I'm just curious.

I know the following behind the scenes jobs; director, producers, camera operator, boom operator. I want to know about any others, no matter how big or small.

Also, it wont hurt your chances at getting the ten points if you can tell me about any jobs involving reading lines with actors, as I'm not sure if the job exists.

Thanks in advance everyone! ^^

After an outstanding answer from miss kate... I realised more information from me would be helpful. If I got exactly what I wanted iwould want to work in an area such as sitcoms or drama's, but I would be pretty okay with anything to be honest.

Favorite Answer

In addition to many different jobs that need to be done, there are also many different types of television programming and all of them have differing requirements and work protocols. What that means is that while a (for example) Sit Com has a Camera Operator and a One-Hour Episodic has a Camera Operator, the precise work they do is different AND the way they get work and how often they work is very different as well. When considering any career, it is important to know what you're getting into technically as well as what it could mean in terms of employment and lifestyle.

That said, "dramas" are typically referred to as "Episodics" in the industry. Their working protocol very closely mirrors that of a feature film, except that episodics are typically shot in roughly five to eight days. The cast and crew on an episodic remains constant through the nine month shooting schedule, but the Directors usually are different for each episode.

Sitcoms generally have just two "production" days. Day one for the crew is the rehearsal and day two is when the studio audience is seated and the show is shot in a period of about five to six hours or so in the evening. So if you want to work in the Sitcom world on the crew, you need to be hired on TWO shows in order to earn enough money to survive in Los Angeles (one show that works Monday/Tuesday and another that shoots Thursday/Friday).

There is SO much to know that it is impossible to write it all down in this forum format. It's for that reason I wrote it all down in the book that is listed below! Most books out there are only out to push the "big" jobs and sell a dream. Mine goes into the minutia and talks about the jobs that nobody else even mentions. As a twenty year veteran in TV/Film, I promise you that this is the book I wish I had before I started. I wish somebody else had written it before I got here!

A lot of people just say that they want to work in the movie/TV business, but very few are serious enough about it to go beyond the dreams and actually do something about it. You'll also find countless additional resources at the website, http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com . Just click on the "Resources" link at the top and scroll through the numerous other sites and books that are at the bottom of the page.

Jobs Behind The Camera

Sound Production

Video Production

Producers

Editer

Consultants

Depends on the type of show you are on.

Directors, producers of various degree and responsibility, camera operator, camera assistant, electricians, grips, makeup, hair, assistant directors, production managers, line producers, stage managers, casting directors, executive assistants, broadcast standards and practices, development personnel, production assistants, special effects, prop masters, production designer, editors, assistant editors, graphics, music producers, composers...

I could go on for quite some time. I've worked in TV and Film for over 15 years in movies, reality TV, docu-reality TV, Live TV and assorted other types of productions.

Reading lines with actors does not exist as a paying job. Directors will go over scenes with actors and acting coaches will work with actors on their parts and characters. That's about the closest to what you're describing.

Source(s): 15 years in TV and Film

no it doesn't they have to read it themselves