Emily R asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

birth control pills still effective with antibiotic levaquin?

I am taking an antibiotic called levaquin (maybe levofloxacin more specifically) and i was wondering if it reduces the effects of my birth control pills. I read the drug information that came with it but it didnt mention anything. The birth control pills are called microgestin, i dont know if it matters what kind it is, but yeah. So if anyone knows if the antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pills, please let me know!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i've heard from a lot of doctors when i take antibiotics that I need to use a back up method during and at least three weeks after taking them. call your doctor and ask though because I'm not sure about levaquin. It's a fairly strong antibiotic so better to ask.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

birth control pills still effective with antibiotic levaquin?

I am taking an antibiotic called levaquin (maybe levofloxacin more specifically) and i was wondering if it reduces the effects of my birth control pills. I read the drug information that came with it but it didnt mention anything. The birth control pills are called microgestin, i dont know if it...

Source(s): birth control pills effective antibiotic levaquin: https://shortly.im/VDYL8
  • 1 decade ago

I wouldn't take the chance. Use back up birth control until you have completed this birth control pill cycle.

Source(s): I had a baby while using birth control and antibiotics. :-)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't take the chance. I think it would reduce the effects of the pill

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ask your doctor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.