Emily R asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

birth control pills still effective with antibiotic levaquin?

I am taking an antibiotic called levaquin (maybe levofloxacin more specifically) and i was wondering if it reduces the effects of my birth control pills. I read the drug information that came with it but it didnt mention anything. The birth control pills are called microgestin, i dont know if it matters what kind it is, but yeah. So if anyone knows if the antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pills, please let me know!

thanks :)

Favorite Answer

i've heard from a lot of doctors when i take antibiotics that I need to use a back up method during and at least three weeks after taking them. call your doctor and ask though because I'm not sure about levaquin. It's a fairly strong antibiotic so better to ask.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am taking an antibiotic called levaquin (maybe levofloxacin more specifically) and i was wondering if it reduces the effects of my birth control pills. I read the drug information that came with it but it didnt mention anything. The birth control pills are called microgestin, i dont know if it...

Source(s): birth control pills effective antibiotic levaquin: https://shortly.im/VDYL8

I wouldn't take the chance. Use back up birth control until you have completed this birth control pill cycle.

Source(s): I had a baby while using birth control and antibiotics. :-)

I wouldn't take the chance. I think it would reduce the effects of the pill

ask your doctor