Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

Power cycling electronics?

I know it fixes most problem I have with electronics but why does it work?

Thanks for your help

Favorite Answer

The main reasons why power cycling is done is to have an electronic device reinitialize its configuration or recover from an unresponsive state, such as "Crash" or "Hanging".

Most modern electronic devices have a program ROM chip or BIOS, with their proprietary programming. Over the course of normal operation, certain unforeseen events such as power surge and electrical noise can cause electronic devices to malfunction, and the simplest way to reinitialize the program is to cycle the device's power.

I hope my answer explains your question.

Because it restores power on defaults.

Sometimes a clock cycle is missed or there is just a bug in the firmware. Sometimes the device is waiting for something to happen (like it sent a request and is waiting on a return from another device) and missed the communication or it was never sent. That causes the built in software to corrupt or freeze. By power cycling you are removing all power so all the charge holding components release their charge and the system is completely off. Then when you plug power back in, it goes back to where the reset vector points to and starts setting up the system again using good known defaults.