Beach Boys fans: which show is better - Brian Wilson or reformed Beach Boys with Mike Love?

Hi Seniors! I asked this question in Music, but I'm going to post it here, too, because I bet there are some fans among you who can advise me.

My husband is a longtime Beach Boys fan, and I wanted to surprise him with concert tickets. Here's the question: which concert will give us the best "Beach Boys" experience?

Mike Love has licensed "the Beach Boys" name and is touring as such. That group is playing at a small venue at $100/ticket.

But I just noticed that Brian Wilson is also touring and tickets go on sale tomorrow (also a small venue, probably $60/ticket).

Beach Boys fans, which of these shows would you pick?

Favorite Answer

If I were choosing for myself, definitely Brian Wilson, in my opinion, the core of the Beach Boys. He wore many hats in the group as bass player, singer, writer, composer, and he arranged. His song God Only Knows is my favorite song. Also the song, 'Don't Worry Baby,' which was written by Wilson along with Roger Christian, and also produced by Wilson and first recorded by the Beach Boys. In a tv interview a number of years back Brian talked about writing, 'Don't Worry Baby,' He was working on some the lyrics one night at home and the words would just not flow. He said his wife came to him and said, "Don't worry, baby, everything will turn out all right," and those are the words he used in the song and title. The rest is history. Interesting trivia, which I always find fascinating. Mike Love is good as well, but when you look at the total picture, Brian Wilson is the heart of the Beach Boys.

Brian Wilson has been through hell and back with mental health, and the fabulous thing is, he is back. I would definitely go see Brian Wilson. He's a fabulous songwriter, and my opinion, the Beach Boys would not have been what they were in their day, without Brian Wilson. He is an icon in his own right, praiseworthy indeed! The choice should be your husbands. If you are truly unsure, though you want it to be a surprise, I would ask him which he would rather see. He may be a bigger fan of Mike Love than Brian. I have a friend that is a major music fan as I am and he would recommend Brian over Mike. I think Brian would bring to the stage the inner depth that defines the Beach Boys. Good luck deciding and I hope you choose the one that makes your husband happy!

Source(s): JMO-avid music fan

Brian Wilson. Love the Beach Boys.

I've not heard anything by Mike Love & the Beach Boys. I have heard Brian Wilson solo though. With Love's band, you have more of a chance of having a review of old BB songs. And I have no idea how true they would be to the originals. Brian's show you have a chance at hearing what he's gotten into lately because I don't think he's dwelling too heavily on the past. You probably won't get that sweet Carl Wilson voice (my favorite BB), nor Dennis' bad surfer boy thing. Myself, I'd go with Brian just because if I want to hear old BB songs, I'll slap on one of my CDs and hear perfection. And Brian still has his musical sensitivity and sound in tact so it ought to at least be interesting. Love has been overly materialistic and this group of his just sounds to me like he's trying to capitalize personally on the BB's past laurels to make himself some easy money.

I'd go to the Brian Wilson show because he's the member who defined the group.

Brian Wilson, don't sound the same without him

I would not even waste my money, serious. Sounds totally different from the old Beach boys i know. Buy the cd and enjoy it, i mean one of the older cd's.

• KathyC

i wpuld save my money and go buy any of their cd's from the mid sixties they just arent he beach boys any more, to me it was like trying to replace lynard skinnard i went to see them it just qasnt the same, the use more electric in their music..i miss the strings and speakers...un?what you say? lol

Each to his own-----but---how can the original not be better ? How can some one imitate the best? It can't be done I think.