Can my external hard drive work on PC and Mac?

I'm about to buy my frist Mac and am getting this external drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveI...

It says it's formatted for Mac. Does this mean it won't work on my Windows XP machine? I'd like to be able to quickly use it on both computers.

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can. In fact, I've done something very similar. I've got a 500GB drive formatted into two partitions; one is 250GB and backs up my mac via time machine. The other is formatted FAT32 and can be used in Windows. Therefore, when I plug my drive into a Mac, I see two drives; I only see one when I use a PC.

In order to accomplish this, you'll have to format your drive; this could take some time but it would be worth it.

Your drive has both Firewire and USB 2.0, so connectivity won't be a problem.

Not really... Windows reads FAT32 and NTFS ... Mac Reads something else. I have a mac... weird I forget what it reads.

You can buy a program that can read mac disks though.

MacDrive sucks, but it is an option.

Mac can read MS-DOS fortmat (FAT 32) so if you format it on your windows PC to FAT32 then you will probably be able to write back and forth... This is how it worked in Tiger.... I don't know about with leopard.

Yes you can. Format the Drive for FAT32 on you Mac (through drive utilites if you didn't know). When you format it on a Mac it shows as MS-DOS File System... which is FAT32. Another thing you can do is just format it into two different partitions, it's just the Win partition wouldn't be visible on a Mac and vice versa.

Yes it will. You'll just need to reformat it. I'm not sure if it will work with both at once, I think it needs to be a different format for each one.

"Designed for Mac, works with Windows® - Designed for use with Macintosh computers. Can be easily reformatted for use with Windows PCs."

Yeh, It will work on Windows.. look longer down that page..

Mac

* Available FireWire or USB port

* Mac® OS X 10.4.11+, 10.5.2+

Windows

* Available FireWire or USB port

* Windows® 2000/XP/Vista

Compatibility may vary depending on user's hardware configuration and operating system.

Source(s): Mads B - Check out my homepage: http://absorb.hopto.org/eng/
  • It works only with a Macintosh

For something that works wirelessly with both a Macintosh and a PC, try getting Apple's very own Time Machine.

Yes it can but here is the sad part if you want to use it for winows you have to format it which means erase all memory and change so its compatible and for amc its all ready but if you go from windows to mac you have to reformat again.

Source(s): Your website which stated this Designed for Mac, works with Windows® - Designed for use with Macintosh computers. Can be easily reformatted for use with Windows PCs.
  • Elana

You'll need a firewire card for your PC to use it.

Also, you'll need to format it for Windows FAT file system, since Windows can't really read Mac file systems and MacOS can't really read NTFS file systems (that may be changing).

FAT32 is accessible by both, though its a pretty miserable file system (old, featureless).

plug it into the pc and if the pc recognizes it right click on it and format if your pc dosnt recognize the partition then you will need a 3rd party software like partition magic

Yes it will work for both computers (it actually says that on the link you posted)

Source(s): I sell apple products