Why do tires "lose" air during the winter?

I don't even know if there is an actual loss. If the reason why the tire signal comes on is beacuse the air inside the tires contracted due to the cold, then I believe it's still the same quantity of air, but it's not enough to fill the space because it contracted, right? I think of it as five... show more I don't even know if there is an actual loss.

If the reason why the tire signal comes on is beacuse the air inside the tires contracted due to the cold, then I believe it's still the same quantity of air, but it's not enough to fill the space because it contracted, right?

I think of it as five fat people in a car that lost weight, so now the car has a signal that turns on beacuse "there aren't enough people in the car" but there are still five people, just not as fat anymore. Isn't it the same with air molecules? Or do they escape because now they are smaller.

It also doesn't make sense to me because if the air molecules are going to expand again during summer, then shouldn't the psi be greater than before winter started since you added more air (more molecules)?