Backed into parked car, no damage whatsoever, no note. Am I a criminal?

I just moved a few days ago into an apartment complex where the spots are very narrow and difficult to get out of. In the few days I have been there, I have already witnessed an accident (where both parties seemed to agree no damage = don't bother) and noticed many dings on the sides of doors and bumpers from... show more I just moved a few days ago into an apartment complex where the spots are very narrow and difficult to get out of. In the few days I have been there, I have already witnessed an accident (where both parties seemed to agree no damage = don't bother) and noticed many dings on the sides of doors and bumpers from what looks like doors and cars running into each other.

About three weeks ago I inherited a vehicle which is much longer than I am accustomed to and has much more limited visibility as well. This makes parking and backing out even that much more difficult. That and I've been driving for only about a year.

This morning I was backing out very slowly and very carefully, literally inch by inch, but had an SUV in my blind spot and bumped it. The impact was comparable to me walking, tripping and hitting the car with my purse.

There was a witness. She agreed there was no damage. I asked if I ought to leave a note and she said not to worry about it. I drove my car to the dumpster and back, then reinspected the SUV. Definitely not a hint of damage. Slight scratch on my rear bumper (which might have been there already for all I know) and that's it. The witness was gone by this time. I was late for work and so I left.

Now I am panicking about having left without leaving a note. However, I feel like if I had left a note where there was no damage, then I might be taken advantage of. Regardless I am panicking and need to know if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom for this situation.

I feel like if someone hit my car but left no marks and I was none the wiser, why would I need a note? Why make a big deal out of literally nothing? For all I know people HAVE hit my car and left no damage. If there is damage, leave a note. But what about this? And what about the witness?

And please, save your insults and smart-alec remarks. This is a serious question. Thanks!