Backed into parked car, no damage whatsoever, no note. Am I a criminal?

I just moved a few days ago into an apartment complex where the spots are very narrow and difficult to get out of. In the few days I have been there, I have already witnessed an accident (where both parties seemed to agree no damage = don't bother) and noticed many dings on the sides of doors and bumpers from what looks like doors and cars running into each other.

About three weeks ago I inherited a vehicle which is much longer than I am accustomed to and has much more limited visibility as well. This makes parking and backing out even that much more difficult. That and I've been driving for only about a year.

This morning I was backing out very slowly and very carefully, literally inch by inch, but had an SUV in my blind spot and bumped it. The impact was comparable to me walking, tripping and hitting the car with my purse.

There was a witness. She agreed there was no damage. I asked if I ought to leave a note and she said not to worry about it. I drove my car to the dumpster and back, then reinspected the SUV. Definitely not a hint of damage. Slight scratch on my rear bumper (which might have been there already for all I know) and that's it. The witness was gone by this time. I was late for work and so I left.

Now I am panicking about having left without leaving a note. However, I feel like if I had left a note where there was no damage, then I might be taken advantage of. Regardless I am panicking and need to know if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom for this situation.

I feel like if someone hit my car but left no marks and I was none the wiser, why would I need a note? Why make a big deal out of literally nothing? For all I know people HAVE hit my car and left no damage. If there is damage, leave a note. But what about this? And what about the witness?

And please, save your insults and smart-alec remarks. This is a serious question. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

If someone calls you on it, just explain that you saw no damage and - well - basically tell them what you told us. You'll be fine.

well, u could find out whom this vehicle belongs to for starter.

or if u see the vehicle again take a pic for urself. like on ur cell or something so they cant go back and say u damaged the vehicle, after u talk to that person.

but it is a good rule to leave a note when something like this happens and there is damage.

but other than that i would agree with u. there's no damage. if the witness says something to that person,given they know them, and there is damage all of a sudden. then u have the pic (which will have date and time) to prove that i was not so.

i guess that's the best i can come up with

good luck :)

We had the same situation in the parking lot of our condo complex ... parking spaces were much too narrow for safe maneuverability. A resident set up a petition to compel the strata council to provide wider parking spots. Three-quarters of the residents signed it. Within a month, the parking spots were made wider and now everyone's happy.

The contention in the petition was that, due to the council's negligence in providing parking spots that were too narrow, residents could sue the council for the damage to their vehicles.

They should lock you up and throw away the key! What has our society come to?

kidding. You're fine. I just wish all of the a**holes that scratch my car in the parking lot at the grocery store would care a little more like you seem to. I'm tired of always finding new scratches and dinges.

If your honest and not a mark dont worry about it! Its good that you feel guilty and not some jerk that dont care! Merry Christmas!

Sleep soundly, lady. You did fine.

if nobody saw it.. no harm done. but you could get into trouble if somerbody did see and you left the scene

Well if no damage then no worries.,..

Nah, you home free.