J & R Sequin asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Can a 15hh 1000lb Morgan Pull a 4 pass. Sleigh?

I rather not have a two horse team. I know the local carriage companies use one standardbred to a larger wheeled cart carrying 4-6 people as do Amish. I don't see anyone using sleighs unless a big draft team with a bigger touristy larger sleigh. What do you think is the comfortable limit for a 15hh 1000 lb big bodied morgan.

We are experienced with driving but just with standardbreds for harness racing around a track. Not for pleasure purposes thru fields with a sleigh. The horse we would use is trained by amish to drive.

Favorite Answer

On a sleigh, your getting in the upper limits when you go to a 2 seater sleigh for a single horse.

Do you own a sleigh you are considering? If the sleigh is more lightweight, you 'might' be ok.. but if its one of those heavy duty buggers, I highly doubt it.

I own a single seat cutter that fits 2 ppl nicely, my 15.2h, big bodied mule can pull it fine and will be in arenas also for shows.

The difference with the wheels vs sleigh is the resistance the sleigh has on ground, the wheels have zero resistence and the bigger wheels the easier to pull on the horse. I wouldn't have any problem hooking my mule up to a 6person cart filled with ppl,on average ground, but definately wouldn't do that to him in a sleigh.

If you have more questions, please let me know

I have a carriage company and have driven many drafts with carriages. I have no experince with sleighs however. The rule on drafts is they can pull 6 times their own weight. I might ask a vet what was a safe amount of weight maybe. My guess is you are probably ok. I just wouldnt try any hills if possible. Sounds like fun though!

Are you talking about a "One Horse Open Sleigh"? lol

How much does the sleigh weigh? Are you planing on four people being in it? I would say that is to much for a horse of that size.

If it's one of those slim light weight built sleighs I still don't think I would pull 4 people in it with one horse that size.

Hello,

Hmm, this is some thing you would have to reaserch.

But, i would say no dont even try, why?

Because, suddenly taking a Morgan to a very heavy cart can be VERY hard on it. It would be like sitting you on a couch for a month with no exersize then taking you out for a jog carrying a back-pack full of water bottles, you wouldnt be able to do it, and you could pull like all your muscles.

Dont try it, just ot be on the safe side. If you really wanted to, you should work your horse up to it, strenghen the horse so it would be ready to pull that much weight.

probably yes...the moragn was bred to pull heavy loads and even entered in weight pulling competitions. If you have ever read the book "Justin Morgan Had a Horse" it explains more. The first morgan horse, Figure, was a small but very powerful morgan, so id say that your 15hh horse can pull it.

Source(s): my brain =]

i wouldnt take a chance on that. the morgan isnt what it used to be. also, pulling a sleight is much different then pulling a cart. a cart has wheels and the horse walks on flas surface. when a horse pulls a sleight, he needs to walk THROUGH the snow and also pull something heavy behind him that is also IN the snow. it would be safer to get a single draft horse or two smaller horses to pull it.

hope ive helped!

Source(s): 14 years of driving teams and singles
  • Greg B

I would imagine that the weight limit would be lower with a sleigh as it would not roll easily like a cart.

sounds like fun! cool! good on you! morgan be perfect for the job, take it slowly to start with! good luck