Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

should i use pantyliners for my every day discharge?

i discharge every day and have been using pantyliners for the past 7 years. my doctors say its normal, and ive come to agree that it is a normal bodily function of mine (unfortunately). i had a PAP last week and my Dr noticed i was a little irritated down there and said it was because of the pantyliners. shr said i shouldnt use pantyliners and just let the discharge go on my underwear. ive done this for the past week, but i feel its a little unsanitary and gross. what do other women with daily discharge do? pantyliners or not?

Favorite Answer

the problem w/it being on your panties is it's there until you remove them & must put up w/the uncomfortable wetness which could be all day! the vagina needs to breathe. while the vagina creates moisture, excess wetness can cause itching, irritation & lead to infections. that's one reason the advice is to wear cotton crotch panties & avoid tight clothes & extended lengths of time in pantyhose or wet workout wear.

at least with pantiliners you can change them throughout the day vs. being stuck in sticky wet underwear. changing to a dry liner is healthier & more comfortable than having to spend the whole day w/funky panties.

I've used pantiliners for 32 years with no problems. I did have some irritation w/one particular brand because of their stay dry covering. It could be that you're sensitive to an ingredient in the brand you use. Firstly, I'd switch to unscented if I'd been using scented/deoderant. If that didn't help, I'd switch brands until I found one I that didn't bother me.

Some ppl have more than a 'moist' vagina & need pantiliners. There are plenty from which to choose, so you've got some experiments to conduct. To consider: do you use the same brand in pantiliners as you do pads? (I don't.) If so, do the pads cause irritation, as well?

*Also, it could be that your irritation isn't related to the products at all and the blame is misplaced. Since you've used them for 7 years w/no probs, the culprit could be a change in detergent, soap, or any number of everyday things. No douches becuz the vagina is self-cleaning. The moist towelettes the toilet paper companies have on the mkt can cause irritation in many ppl. No feminine hygiene sprays-not needed.(If there's an unpleasant smell, then one should be checked for infection instead of masking it w/spray.) You could even be reacting to sperm, condoms, spermicides or the like in the sex-related realm. Many women become irritated or itchy shortly after their periods due to the hormone fluctuations. The list is quite extensive, but the items I've listed will get you to thinking of all the products with which you come in contact.

What does the doctor say the pantiliners have within them to cause irritation? Pads & tampons are government regulated to be safe, hold specific standardized amts of liquid, & other tidbits of trivia. Liners are created from the same materials as pads, so I wonder where the idea that they're bad comes from.

I vote pantiliners.

Source(s): Health researcher
  • Irene

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax1x9

Okay sweetie. It is not any of the things mentioned above. It is basically your body's reproductive system working. If you notice throughout the month, your 'discharge' (Its actually not discharge. It is cervical mucus) changes texture. When you are ovulating (the time in the month when your body is most fertile) the mucus is the most sticky. That is what the stuff is you are talking about. You will also notice that right before and right after your period, hardly any mucus will come out. That is also normal. Don't worry. You are normal. I think all women have this in some form or another. And like you, a lot of women don't know that much about this 'discharge' a.k.a. mucus. If you ever wanted to read more or learn more about your body, then read this book: 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Weschler. Its not just about getting pregnant. It also tells you stuff about your body a lot of people don't know. Including the mucus.

I ve been using them for years, too but my new GYN suggested not wearing them when I m home and to just change my underwear. I don t want to do all that laundry I have almost daily discharge as well. Another idea would be to wipe it out of the underwear and cover it up with a liner. Eventually it will dry and not be so bad. The things we women go through!

Hey girl!!

I use pantyliners and i think it is totally normal. I also have daily discharge.. It is seriously normal babe. Imagine being DRY down there lol i'd prefer to be WET. Ha ha Keep using them! ;)

Pantyliner are perfect to use but if you are facing problems with the one you are using now you can switch them to another brand.

Panty liners. My doctor said I was just allergic to the type I was using, so I switched brands and didn't have any problems since.

it should be fine to use them every day its not very nice just to let it leak onto your pants. Maybe your a little irritated with the type your using, are they fragrenced or anything? maybe try a different brand for sensitive people or a non fragerenced one, xx

Try changing to a different brand, that may help.

Panty liners of course. May be change the brand. It could well suit you.