promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Who keeps the heisman trophy?

Who keeps the heisman trophy? Is it kept by the football player or the school? I know some players have sold theirs, but I also know that some schools (OU included) have heisman trophy awards displayed in their athletic trophy displays. Do they give out two? One to the player and one to the school?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was the player's to keep.

Some players or the families of deceased players often consign the trophy to the alma mater for display, safekeeping, and pride.

"In 1968, the Heisman Trophy Committee voted to award two trophies each year - one to the winner and one to the college or university he represents." - See the last part of the link I attached. I edited my answer to better explain what I meant.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ofella
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Ou Heisman Trophy Winners

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Downtown Athletic Club has awarded a trophy to the player and school since 1967, before that only the player received the trophy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THERE ARE SEVERAL ONE TO THE PLAYER THE SCHOOL GETS ONE AS WELL IF THEY GET THE CASH UP FOR IT... AT OKLAHOMA YOU ALSO GET A LIFE STATUE OF YOURSELF CAST IN BRONZE ACROSS THE STREET FROM OWEN FIELD IN HEISMAN PARK COST: AROUND 50K

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steve
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It belongs to the player to do what he wants with it. In 1973, John Cappelletti gave it to his brother, Joey, who was dying of leukemia. See the 1977 movie "Something for Joey".

• 1 decade ago

player decides

• 1 decade ago

the player decides what to do with it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.