My wife was prescribed Metronidazole, why?

My wife came back from the doctor a few days ago and said that she had a yeast infection and that the doctor prescribed Metronidazole for both of us? She says that the doctor wants for both of us to take it for 14 days. The thing is, we have had yeast infections before ( a couple of times over a 25 year period... show more My wife came back from the doctor a few days ago and said that she had a yeast infection and that the doctor prescribed Metronidazole for both of us? She says that the doctor wants for both of us to take it for 14 days.

The thing is, we have had yeast infections before ( a couple of times over a 25 year period ) and I KNEW when I had it! We simply used a cream by prescription back then and that took care of it.

We have only been intimate once in the last 2 months. (Other reasons for this) Well when she told me that we had to take this pill that kinda' set off alarms in my head. So she said she would call the doctor. This afternoon she tells me that she forgot to call him but, she was SURE I didn't have to take it?

I found out that Metronidazole is used to treat Trich and BV. But, the kicker is that he also prescribed the cream for yeast infection? After doing some research online, I find that Metronidazole can cause a yeast infection therefore I am assuming that the cream is in case this happens!

So my question is, "Why would he prescribe Metronidazole for a yeast infection as my wife said and not just the cream?

(PS. I have NOT been with anyone else because I work 12 to 14 hour days)