Why is it suggested for pregnant women to lay on their left side?

I have read this in a number of books and on pregnancy web sites but none have ever said why the left side is better than the right (I get the whole sleeping on your back or stomach thing). Just curious.

Well, I was worried from the first two responses that I had not been very clear on what I was looking for...but the next three were a nice surprise...thanks ladies, that was what I wanted.

I can't understand why some of you were given thumbs downs...bitter about their own thumbs down maybe?

Best Answer

We are told to sleep on our side because it makes your heart's job easier as it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.

Those that specifically recommend sleeping on the left side do so because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys.

***Edit: It appears that someone is "thumbs down" happy today...

1

Source(s): Insomnia Treatment http://renditl.info/StopInsomniaForEver

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): suggested pregnant women lay left side: https://tinyurl.im/8sA9Z

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

• Finding a Good Sleeping Position

Early in your pregnancy, try to get into the habit of sleeping on your side. Lying on your side with your knees bent is likely to be the most comfortable position as your pregnancy progresses. It also makes your heart's job easier because it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.

Some doctors specifically recommend that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys. Ask what your doctor recommends — in most cases, lying on either side should do the trick and help take some pressure off your back.

If you want to put your baby to sleep in 20 seconds you must get the "Instant Baby Sleep" MP3 sound track. Here is their official web-site: http://www.instantbabysleep.net

The sound track gently produces energy over the full human hearing spectrum with an embedded pulse that gently eases the brain to the Alpha state well known for drowsiness and sleep induction.

You can succeeded to get pregnant the natural way without any drugs or medical intervention.

Thanks to this program, you can be on the road to becoming a mother.

Check it out:

http://pregnancy.toptips.org

You will know more about how to get pregnant quickly and naturally within 2 months, how to give birth to healthy babies, and how to cure infertility problems.

Good luck!

When you lay on the left side, there is the least amount of resistance to blood flow and vascular congestion to and from the uterus, which essentially means that the the uterus has optimum circulation. Either side is really ok though, the main thing you should avoid is staying off your back, as the weight of the baby will compress the large vessels that lie along the back.

Source(s): RN, OB
  • Ethel

Well, either side is fine but laying on your left keeps your stomach in the lowest point and helps prevent some heartburn that you get later in pregnancy. Heck, if you're doing 1st Aid in the field they tell you to lay an injured person on their left side for two reasons, to allow their heart to pump more easily (slightly more strain on the right side) and if they vomit it comes out easily and goes out of the mouth.

It help the boold flow through you body and to the baby.