A quick questionnaire for smokers. ?

I'm carrying out a survey on smokers to use a back-up bit of evidence to use for writing an essay about the smoking population of Britain today (I know, it's quite a stupid topic- part of my science course). I don't care how old you are; I'm not going to judge you.

Please answer the following questions.

1) How old are you?

2) When did you start smoking?

3) Why, honestly, did you start smoking?

4) What do you hate most about the recent smoking ban in public places?

5) Do any of your family smoke? If yes, who?

6) If you started smoking when you were living with your parents, did your parents disapprove of your smoking?

7) Have you ever tried to give up smoking? (If yes, why couldn't you give up? If no, would you ever consider giving up and why?)

8) Which brands of tobacco do you smoke?

9) Do you ever stop to consider that you are damaging your health by smoking? What are your opinions on this?

10) Would you give up smoking if someone you loved very much (eg. a long-term partner) wanted you to give up?

Thanks!

Best Answer

1) 23

2) 16

3) To 'impress' my much- older boyfriend who was always smoking.

4) Everything about it. It's dreadful having to go outside to have a cigarette when the weather is bad (especially when it's windy and you can't light your cigarette without it going out); and the fact that you often have to go and stand outside a pub on your own to have a cigarette and make awkward conversation with random people you don't even know. Also, the pavements are now littered with cigarette stubs.

5) My mum used to smoke a lot. She died of lung cancer.

6) I was living with my dad when I was 16, when I took up smoking. I managed to keep it hidden from him for almost a year but then he caught me having a cigarette while I was walking the dog and he appeared out of nowhere. He was angry at first, especially because smoking is mainly what killed my mother, but he told me that he couldn't stop me from smoking and grew to accept it.

7) No, I've never wanted to give up. In the future I would consider it, probably, because I really don't want to damage my health as badly as my mum did. My mum's lung cancer has definitely put me off the idea of excessive smoking (I only smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day).

8) I started off with Marlboro Lights. Now I smoke Marlboro Reds which are stronger and keep me satisfied for longer. Roll-ups take up too much time and I'm no good at making them!

9) Sometimes. I know that smoking's bad for you but I'm hooked.

10) Yes.

1) How old are you? 40

2) When did you start smoking? 16

3) Why, honestly, did you start smoking? I was told that second hand smoke was worse than actually smoking. So common sense said to start smoking to stay healthier. I've never felt better.

4) What do you hate most about the recent smoking ban in public places? If non smokers don't like playing by the rules, then they should stay home, in their nice smoke free house.

5) Do any of your family smoke? If yes, who? Yes. Father, sister. Grandparents. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins.

6) If you started smoking when you were living with your parents, did your parents disapprove of your smoking? They didn't know until I was 18. Dad was ok, Mom was furious.

7) Have you ever tried to give up smoking? (If yes, why couldn't you give up? If no, would you ever consider giving up and why?) Nobody likes a quitter.

8) Which brands of tobacco do you smoke? Marlboro 100's

9) Do you ever stop to consider that you are damaging your health by smoking? What are your opinions on this? Says who? My grandparents are 87 and 83 and have been smoking for over 60 years, with no signs of quitting. They are probably healthier than most non smokers in their 50's.

10) Would you give up smoking if someone you loved very much (eg. a long-term partner) wanted you to give up? He knew what he was getting into when he married me.

I live in the US so I don't know if this will help

1. 51

2. 16

3. To cover the fact that I was also smoking weed.

4. It doesn't bother me at all.

5. One of my sisters does

6. My parents thought it was a great idea because they thought I had given up smoking weed--which I hadn't

7. Yes. I've tried the patch, hypnosis, accupuncture, gum. You REALLY have to want to quit in order to quit. I'll make it a couple of weeks then give in.

8 Marlboro Menthol

9 I don't think about it. I know the risks

10 Probably not. Like I said before, it's the smoker who has to want to quit.

Just to add-- I've quit smoking weed and I've had a heroin addiction and a meth addiction that I've kicked but cigarettes I just can't seem to conquer.

I don't smoke. But I do Chew. So i'll answer them as a chewer.

1. 21

2. When i was 18

3. I liked the smell, so i bought a can, and liked it.

4. there isn't a chewing ban, but smoking ban i like in public resurants

5. My dad, Soon to be Father In Law, and Soon to be Step Dad

6. My dad didn't really care when he found out. I hid it from him for a while

7. I've never really tried to quit. I would consider giving it up.

8. Skoal, Grizzly, sometimes Red Man in the can

9. Yes. I need to quit

10. She wants me to give it up now. So i'm kinda.

1 26

2 16

3 stress of my exams

4 it honestly doesn't bother me

5 everyone apart from my mother

6 my mother did but my dad didn't. He's a smoker and told me as long as I enjoyed it it was ok

7 Yes I did. The side affects did me in. I was so miserable and angry. I shouted at everyone for no reason

8 mayfair kingsize

9 Honestly yes I do especially since I am asmatic There is no excuse why I keep on smoking

10 The only person I would give up for is my daughter

1: 39

2: 15

3: The cool kids did it

4: Having to find a dark corner where I can sneak a smole

5: Not anymore...I'm the last

6: Disapproved even though my dad smoked

7: Yes. Not enough will power.

8: Basic 100's cigarettes

9: Yes. It doesn't matter...well, it DOES but I just ca';t stop

10: Tried and failed

• 1) 38

2) 13

3) I needed the friends

4) I don't think much, other than more stigma.

5) Dad and Sister

6) They did at first

7) I have. I am heavily addicted and have mental health issues

8) Amber Leaf, and anything cheaper

9) I do. I mostly think oh well, I'll not have long in the old folks home

10) Maybe. It's not that easy.

1. 16

2. 12

3. stress & weight loss

4. i hate everything about it, and if you do decide to smoke, people look at you like you're a fuckinnn alien.

5. yes, my father, two brothers, and sister.

6. yes they did disapprove of my smoking, but i could've cared less.

7. yes, i've tried, but i couldn't... it was too good to resist.

8. marlboro red.

9. yes, but... i just... try to avoid everything that reminds me of health+cigarettes.

10. yeah... with his help, of course.

34

14

to impress a boy who didnt smoke!

getting cold outside pubs n clubs

mum, dad and partner

yes, mum did but allowed it cos she smokes

yes lots of times, most recently 3 years, what a fool to start again!

amber leaf, the odd cigarette when im feeling lazy

yes we all know the risks, but most people look at it as, well we are going to die anyway. my worst hate is the smell.

no. you give up for yourself not a loved one.

20

14

I grew up around alot of smokers

I don't mind it, I don't smoke alot

everyone

no they first offered me a smoke

no

marbrol 100 red

yes but I don't think an ocassional smoke will kill you

no