why is removing your shoes a disgrace in the muslim culture?

Favorite Answer

I though it was not taking the off, when enter muslim homes or muslin churches you got to take them off

• Rubym

I think it is not so much removing the shoes, Muslims have to take shoes off when they enter a Mosque; it has to do with showing the sole of the shoe or sole of the foot, it is considered 'dirty' both literally and symbolically. And the way I'm translating this is showing the sole of the foot or shoe, is something like giving somebody the 'finger' but amplified a thousand times. I've never heard it like that, but that seems to be how it's coming across from what I've seen on the news.

And apparently throwing of shoes, is again, something of an obsene gesture combined with the fact the shoe would hurt if it hit you in the face. Getting the 'finger' does not normally hurt.

It might not only be Muslim, but Middle Eastern in general. I think the passage, I don't know where in the Bible, but Jesus told his Apostles, if a town did not listen to them preach, knock all of the sand off of their sandals before they left town. I vaguely remember hearing this was a sign of contempt, and sometimes people would turn their soles toward the people of the village as they knocked off the sand.

removing ur shoes is not a disgrace, it is showing ur feet to someone which is a bad sign and it is the same in all cultures not muslims alone. I am a Muslim so i know.. if u r referring to Bush incident, any one can see why it was a bad sign, u hit a person with ur shoe, and what would that mean? that u love them? of course not. so it means u dont like them and find them despicable, its the same in every culture remember,

The sole of the shoe is considered very unclean due to contact on the ground etc, so showing someone the sole of your shoe is considered an insult as you are basically comparing the person with the dirt on your shoe.

I don't know whats wrong with u people !!! do u always have to attribute a countries culture on religion and make connections?????

The news said it was IRAQI culture .. islam is a RELIGION .. see the difference?

sorry if it sounded not polite .. but im really starting to get tired of these accusations

Shoe collects the dirt. Throw the shoe, you throw the dirt.

Where did you get this notion? Muslims remove their shoes to go into a mosque, have to.

• first answer is most accurate

btw i'd like to correct you its not the muslim culture its the Arab culture

there are lots of European / American re(con)verts to islam

that dont consider it a big insult like arabs do

It says that they consider the person no better than the dirt they walk on. It's symbolic of stepping on the person.

It isn't if you throw the shoes at GWB.

It's laughter fit for sit-coms.