Anonymous

Why do so many black people hate cats?

I am black and i LOVE cats. They are beautiful creatures.

I don't understand how you can dislike something so lovely

and innocent.

Anyway, when other black people find out i like cats they

act like it's so strange of me. And, blacks are always saying

things like 'Black people don't do cats!'.

Why is this? Is it just a weird anomaly or what?

It's not generalizing. The majority

of black people have it in for cats.

And how trashy and classless do

you have to be to start using 4 and 5

letter words because you don't know

anything?

Be P.C all you want but i have lived

with blacks all of my life and only

about 1% of them like Cats.

Oh & i am black.

Best Answer

I am White and I have to agree with you. At least it has been my experience. My Black co-workers hate cats. I do think that this is unique for you and I because it doesn't make sense that most Blacks hate felines. It's just the people you and I know.

Some of the answers are so mean. If you are Black yourself how can they accuse you of being racist against Blacks. Duh!!

Adorable little girl~Avitar

Being both a dog lover & a cat lover, I've really noticed this phenomenon too. I do know, or know of, a small # of African-Americans who own & love cats. But the majority of black people I've met &/or known by far & away hate cats. Maybe it's just a cultural/generational thing that's been handed down over many years. It's a shame this should be the case, because I know quite a few African-Americans who claim to "hate cats" when I can tell that if they'd just try cats out, they'd be wonderful cat-owners whose cats would absolutely adore them. And there's so many cats that need good homes. What a senseless waste for all concerned! I think comparing dogs to cats is like comparing apples to oranges --- they're both wonderful in their different ways.

I love cats In fact I breed them for sale. Polydactyl/Hemingway - (Extra toes). I'm from NYC. I find most black people like cats there and some people who don't like cats will have them anyway due to New York's vermin problems. I now live in Buffalo NY, I find a lot of black people here don't like cats but like dogs although I do see some like cats. I love dogs very much as I do cats. The house I live in the landlord don't want dogs and dogs I love are breeds that get negative responses - THE BIG DOGS Pit Bulls; Rottweilers; Mastiffs.; Boerboels; Akitas The Family Guard Dogs. Most landlords don't want dogs so I have cats I would have both if I could.

Maybe the word CAT rhymes so much with RAT and they are small yet bigger than a rat. I really don't know but to each his own.

I'm black and I like cats. Most blacks that I was raised around liked cats too bc they are low maintenance. I love dogs more bc they are more fun, joyful, excitable, affectionate creatures with compassion. I still like cats too but they have an obvious personality difference.

A lot of older blacks FROM CERTAIN AREAS may not like cats because of the folklore and myths attached to cats. From the belief that cats try to kill babies in their sleep by stealing their breath, to the common belief that black cats are unlucky.

Also cats are usually compared to dogs when picking the type of pet one will get. In the city a dog = protection. Dogs are more likely to protect their owner. If someone breaks in, a dog will defend their territory or at least bark. Cats would look at the intruder, roll over, and go back to sleep. Not to mention the assumed myth that dogs and cats don't get along. Dogs are considered mans best friend. That relationship may effect how cats are accepted by dog lovers.

you can all say what you want I have blacks and whites in my house and not one black person yet like cats and all the white people love them I don t know the reason or why but what I do know is black people over all don t care for cats

• What I mean is this:
      Maybe WHERE YOUR FROM, a lot of blacks don't like cats because of what they were taught to think about them. While, in other places, blacks prefer cats. And other places they like them but still prefer a dog. Lol

I totally agree. Why would we just invent this stereotype?

I've had about 20 white ladies over to my apartment.

All 20 out of 20 white girls were IN LOVE with my "adorable" kittens.

In the same period, I've had about 9 black ladies over to my apartment.

All 9 out of 9 of them were UNCOMFORTABLE with my cats.

A couple of them called them "creepy."

My cat's are not creepy, they are adorable.

But for some reason, black people are definitely uneasy around cats.

I am a 60 year old African American woman, and cats have been a part of my life for 55 years. I love them! I type this as my beautiful tortoiseshell kitty is sitting on my lap. My daughter loves cats, too, and has two of her own.

Most black people do think we are weird. "We do cats, not drugs."

• mcevoy

because of fact human beings have some superstitions with that, in case you will do any significant paintings and a black cat aapke samne aa jaye to, kaam kharab ho jata hai, and additionally it seems frightening that is why.

Most black folk around here in the south like dogs I've had 3 cats in all 2 simese and a orange tabby and they were all good cats but I tend to gravitate to dogs for some reason.

I guess some people are superstitious.

go to animal control most cats were dumped there by their previous black owners.