What were Wheatless Wednesdays and Meatless Mondays (during WWI)? ?

Favorite Answer

World War I: United States Food Administration.

Voluntary Conservation.

Hoover called it food conservation, but many Americans took to calling it "Hooverizing."

Various promotions were devised, such as wheatless Wednesdays and meatless Mondays.

Hoover was convinced that Americans would cooperate voluntarily to support the boys overseas.

He did not want a mandatory program and Government regulated rationing.

The idea was that American civilains would have to modify their eating habits volunatarily so that more food was availablde for shipment overseas.

The American housewive was urged to conserve food and eliminate waste.

Signs and posters appeared in workplaces and public areas with the slogan "Food Will Win the War".

Hoover managed to voluntarily reduce domestic food consumption 15 percent without rationing.

http://histclo.com/essay/war/ww1/cou/us/food/w1cus...

The suggested plan for the week from the United States Food Administration was as below -

Sunday - One Meal Wheatless & One Meal Meatless

Monday - All Meals Wheatless & One Meal Meatless

Tuesday - All Meals Meatless & One Meal Wheatless

Wednesday - All Meals Wheatless & One Meal Meatless

Thursday - One Meal Wheatless & One Meal Meatless

Friday - One Meal Wheatless & One Meal Meatless

Saturday - All Meals Porkless, One Meal Wheatless & One Meal Meatless.

The pamphlet is reproduced on the website below.

http://www.ecommcode.com/hoover/hooveronline/hoove...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): wheatless wednesdays meatless mondays wwi: https://shortly.im/TxzYQ

Meatless Mondays Ww1

• Wheatless Wednesdays, Meatless Mondays, and such were days in WWI during which American families were asked to not eat wheat, meat, etc. This was designed so that food could be conserved to be fed to the soldiers overseas.

• Amy

I don't think I've heard of this before, but it sounds fun (not to mention, good conservation-wise). We had an earthquake last year which made the power go out for a day and we had to cook dinner on a grill over a little fire (made rice and roasted asparagus and tofu) we had candles lit all over the place, there were no TV's on, no computers, went to bed at a decent hour ... it was so nice. I've been thinking it would be nice to turn the power of once a day each month. I already go meatless all the time and heatless (don't really need it where I live) and I go wheatless twice a month or so. I'd like to find out what the rest are too.

Wheat less Wednesday and meatless Monday were efforts to conserve food stuffs for the war effort.The rationing of things like gas and sugar was to preserve those things for the fighting in Europe.hope that helps

Source(s): history major at college
  • Apogee

During the war it was part of the voluntary rationing strategy where families had "Meatless Monday," "Wheat-less Wednesday," and other measures to help the war effort, conserving food which would then support U.S. troops as well as feed hungry populations in Europe where food production and distribution had been disrupted.